Operations & Technical Support (Batch Management Engineer)
Manage batch management activities supported by vendors located in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, the Batch Management Engineer is responsible to ensure batch job services are smoothly operated, scheduled, monitored, supported and coordinated in production environment .
The position primary focus is on attaining a smooth and successful batch job services via tactful planning, disciplined control, team coordination and immediate reactions to risks and/or issues. Sensitivity to batch performance and recovery efficiency to minimize business impacts and system/service downtime will be of ultimate importance.
The role is expected to work with vendors in planning and execution of batch job services and is held responsible for the batch run results and quality. On the other hand, you also liaise actively with business and IT teams to manage implications of batch run schedules and its dependency with system availability and business operations. You need to detect and alert business on batch issues ahead and strive for continuous improvements to enhance batch results.
This role requires you to perform batch jobs out of office hours or weekends when these batch jobs are scheduled to run.
KEY OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Provide technical leadership, coach/support vendors and review their deliverables to ensure quality batch management activities meeting/exceeding defined SLAs/KPIs
- Work with batch process improvement to shorten batch windows, define precise dependency, automate manual actions and also optimize system resources usage, foster faster batch job resolution and automate ticket creation via Service Now.
- Enhance standard operating procedures (SOP)
- Validate and assure monitoring and health checks routines are in place as per planned.
- Provide approval for batch re-scheduling, start/restart, re-run, suspension and cancellation.
- Work with vendors on batch scheduling/rescheduling and facilitate related communications
- Implement alerts and preventives to enhance robustness of batch processing
- Effectively collaborate with the various Service Transition teams, such as: Change Release Management, Capacity Management, Application monitoring, Solution Delivery and Service Operations teams
- Coordinate and facilitate business and IT teams in respect to batch job rescheduling and job failures and its associated implications to system availability and business operations
- Provide estimations on batch jobs completion and facilitate integration with business activities.
- Increase the number of batch incidents/problems closed directly by the Batch Management resources over the time.
- Address a 1st level of incidents/problems analysis related to batch/jobs and escalate to application support teams (L2/L3) for further assessment of potential issue and for any code fix related issue
- Ensure tickets are triage effectively and route to the correct support level (L2-3)
- For escalated cases to L2/L3, ensure the L1 vendor has completed primary analysis of batch incidents/problems, provided an initial views of steps required for resolution before passing this information downstream, hereby increasing service effectiveness and reducing resolution time
- Identify root cause for batch related downtime, reduce repetitive batch failures and related incident ticket volumes
- Provide batch trend, job/failures analysis to identify potential gaps and design improvement actions
- Report batch production issues and heads-up/escalate on critical cases to Lead
- Proactively propose batch improvements ideas and solutions to enhance batch efficiency
- Specify capacity requirements to support consistent batch performance
- Suggest capacity on demand (COD) requirements to support batch runs during peak periods
- Coordinate maintenance of comprehensive documentation & standards on batch operation & control procedures, job dependency, KEDB on batch incidents etc
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Degree in Computer Science or related fields
- 5 years' experience in batch operations and/or control
- ITIL Foundations is preferred
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, and the ability to work without supervision but with discipline.
- Technical aptitude
- Prior experience in implementing batch improvement/automation will be of advantage
- Enthusiastic in working and coaching with vendors is preferred
- Good understanding of batch operations, batch scheduling and design
- Experience in batch performance analysis & tuning and able to provide solutions/suggestions to optimize batch
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Exposure in batch monitoring tools, batch scheduler and ticketing system such as Service Now
- Knowledge and experience in application platforms and technologies including, but not limited to: Java, .NET, Pega, Guidewire, Web Methods, Informatica, Oracle and back-office AS400 systems using traditional languages such as COBOL and RPG, Microsoft SQL, Chef and Puppet, OpenStack, Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services
- As the ideal candidate for this role you pay attention to details and can provide review comments to enhance results.
- You need to have a technical aptitude and be able to recover job failures and emergency situation in tight timeframe.
- You should also have an understanding of batch operations that spans both applications, underlying infrastructure and system administration.
- You can be a specialist in at least one of the batch management domains (tools, scheduling, improvement/optimization, batch control etc).
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Back to top