MVS Storage Technical Support Specialist
IBM Technical Support Services' (TSS) mission is to become the largest and most successful provider of multi-vendor technical support services in the world. Our Multi-Vendor Support (MVS) Client Innovation Center (CIC) in Sofia, Bulgaria is building a trans-disciplinary team of Multi-Vendor Storage support specialists tasked with supporting our TSS clients and field engineers in any IBM country worldwide on a 24x7 basis. MVS Storage Remote Technical Support Specialists in this job role will have expertise in various multi-vendor storage technologies.
- Provide remote technical support expertise to both customers and internal field personnel in any country where IBM does business.
- Use problem determination/problem source identification skills to isolate issues and document substantive action plans that resolve client issues accurately the first time.
- Keep customers, partners, and internal stakeholders regularly informed of problem investigation and resolution status throughout the support service request case life cycle.
- Provide technical expertise in support of critical client situation resolution.
- Use lab hardware to assemble customer configurations to replicate customer failure mechanisms.
- Use specialized diagnostic tools to isolate complex client problems.
- Work with suppliers, if applicable, L3 OEM Development to drive fixes for field issues.
- Interface with internal and external clients to explain technical solutions, interpret manuals, resolve hardware component failures, and maintain a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Generate technical documentation for service personnel and clients to follow.
- Create procedures and tips for the Level-1 support team to resolve MVS Storage problems.
- Develop and provide technical training and service strategies to Level-1/2 support team.
- Provide real time assistance to field technicians to resolve critical client technical issues. (when required).
- Flexible schedule to support 24x7 shift operations and on-call coverage (as applicable).
- Clarify and record information in the systems, ensure full understanding of the customer issue.
- Ensure regular updates to customer by call back and follow up e-mails (as applicable).
- Participate in internal projects and continuous improvement initiatives.
- Follow established processes for effective management of support incidents.
- Desire for ongoing skills development.
Education and professional experience:
- Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent) in Engineering or similar technical field.
- At least 2 years of experience in technical support role.
- Experience providing technical support or administration for storage products with focus on - HPE, EMC;
- Excellent command of spoken and written English (B2-C2 level).
- Excellent soft skills, active listening/reading, sympathy, ask when in doubt, explain clearly and set right expectations.
- Good planning and organization skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Office and web navigation.
- Troubleshooting and analytical thinking skills to identify and resolve problems.
- Customer-first mindset with high sense of ownership.
- Ability to ask clarifying questions as needed to fully understand customer query.
- Ability to research available resources and work instructions to find resolution.
- Ability to work and follow up with multiple support groups within the organization to bring customer's issue to resolution.
- Ability to quickly learn and absorb new concepts, terms, and vocabulary.
- Ability to research and self-study to find solutions to unknown issues and generally improve oneself.
- Ability to use tools and knowledge to understand and resolve user's issues and/or redirect them appropriately.
- Ability to use clear/good judgment.
- Ability to escalate as appropriate.
- Ability to manage complicated requests and irate users.
- Understanding of multi-vendor enterprise storage technologies including software defined storage, storage virtualization, and network & fabric attached storage devices.
- Knowledge of storage networking SAN/NAS standards and protocols (Fibre Channel, iSCSI, NFS, CiFS, etc.)
- Experience in customer facing roles.
- Previous experience in storage and systems architecture in an enterprise environment.
- Willingness to travel internationally on occasion for additional education.
- Experience providing technical support for software defined storage appliances.
- Experience with other multi-vendor storage technologies - NetApp, Lenovo, HDS, SAN (Cisco and Brocade) is considered an advantage.
- Previous experience in delivering technical education will be considered an advantage.
- Industry recognized associate, professional, or expert certification.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent) in Engineering or similar technical field
At least 2 years of experience in technical support role - in storage and systems architecture in an enterprise environment, providing Technical support or administration for storage products (HPE, EMC)
Excellent command of spoken and written English (B2-C2)
Excellent soft skills and computer skills
Troubleshooting and analytical thinking skills
Ability to work and follow up with multiple support groups within the organization to bring customer's issue to resolution
Ability to use tools and knowledge to understand and resolve user's issues and/or redirect them appropriately
Understanding of multi-vendor enterprise storage technologies as software defined storage, storage virtualization, and network & fabric attached storage devices
Knowledge of storage networking SAN/NAS standards & protocols (Fibre Channel, iSCSI, NFS, CiFS, etc.)
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Meet Some of IBM's Employees
Leadership Development Solutions Leader
Peter works with a variety of teams within IBM to increase organizational clarity, equip leaders to serve well, and provide opportunities for employees to continually grow and expand their skills.
Back to top