The infrastructure running industries likes transportation, energy, insurance, banking or healthcare is quickly changing as the world's relationship with technology evolves. Companies have more choices than ever before between on-premise, off-premise, or a hybrid approach. Our Infrastructure Specialists are responsible for keeping up with these latest and greatest of these changes and using their expertise to deliver solutions that meet the needs of our customers and products.
Your Role and Responsibilities
IBM Global Business Services (GBS) is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants enabling enterprises to make smarter decisions and providing unparalleled client and consumer experiences in cognitive, data analytics, cloud technology and mobile app development. With global reach, outcome-focused methodologies and deep industry expertise, IBM GBS empowers clients to digitally reinvent their business and get the competitive edge in the cognitive era in over 170 countries.
Bottom line? We outthink ordinary. Discover what you can do at IBM.
The Public Service Sector consulting practice is a trusted advisor to federal, state and local governments, partnering to meet challenges and responding quickly to citizen demands, business needs, new economic conditions, and changing legislative priorities and policies.
The Mid-Tier Engineer will be responsible for all facets of engineering and administering the mid-tier for our client. This includes crafting infrastructure, installing and configuring Application and Web Servers, Portals, and associated software products and operating system configuration in LINUX, UNIX and Windows environments. You're responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining the infrastructure to meet availability and performance standards.
- Assisting in the scheduling of deployment activity as well as new installations of mid-tier infrastructure.
- Developing security standards in the mid-tier and ensuring all systems and applications meet our clients security requirements.
- Development and maintenance of mid-tier system monitoring and administrative dashboards to ensure a dedicated approach to system management.
- Thorough knowledge of the Cyber Command Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGs) processes and procedures.
- Perform a Security Readiness Review (SRR) and document the SRR findings in a Plan of Action and Milestones (POA&M) document.
This position is located in Radford, VA.
Health Insurance. Paid time off. Corporate Holidays. Sick leave. Family planning. Financial Guidance. Competitive 401K. Training and Learning. We continue to expand our benefits and programs, offering some of the best support, guidance and coverage for a diverse employee population.
Our goal is to be essential to the world, which starts with our people. Company wide we kicked off an internal talent strategy program called Go Organic. At our core, we are committed to believing and investing in our workforce through:
- Skill development: helping our employees grow their foundational skills
- Finding the dream job at IBM: navigating our company with the potential for many careers by channeling an employee's strengths and career aspirations
- Diversity of people: Diversity of thought driving collective innovation
In 2015, Go Organic filled approximately 50% of our open positions with internal talent that were promoted into the role.
With an employee population of 375,000 in over 170 countries, amazingly we connect, collaborate, and care. IBMers drive a corporate culture of shared responsibility. We love grand challenges and everyday improvements for our company and for the world. We care about each other, our clients, and the communities we live, work, and play in!
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- 5+ experience in application server management using Weblogic, JBOSS or similar enterprise mid-tier management tool.
- Knowledge of Application Server architecture in a large enterprise environment using WebLogic, WebSphere, or similar class server systems.
- Knowledge of Web Services, both SOAP and REST.
- Knowledge of XML.
- familiarity of the Java or C# programming languages to assist developers in debugging applications.
- Knowledge of UNIX and Windows administrations skills.
- Background in a Web Application Server environment in a substantially large enterprise.
- Strong communication skills to communicate systems proposals to management and customers and provide systems diagnoses and resolution.
- Strong organization skills to prioritize work, balance and lead complex projects.
- Good leadership skills to guide and mentor the work of less experienced personnel.
- Ability to integrate complex hardware and software systems.
- DoD Secret clearance
- CompTIA Security+ Certification
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
About Business Unit
IBM Services is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants that design, build, and run foundational systems and services that is the backbone of the world's economy. IBM Services partners with the world's leading companies in over 170 countries to build smarter businesses by reimagining and reinventing through technology, with its outcome-focused methodologies, industry-leading portfolio and world class research and operations expertise leading to results-driven innovation and enduring excellence.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you're looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities - where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust - where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM's greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
US Citizenship required.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Back to top