Meteorological Operations Specialist for The Weather Company
The Weather Company, an IBM Business is hiring a Meteorological Operations Specialist. This is a great opportunity to become an important member of the TWC Meteorological Services Team. The team is responsible for providing quality control and meteorological support for premiere data products and services worldwide. Your meteorological and technical expertise, along with knowledge of weather-sensitive operations will help maintain high standards for product timeliness, accuracy and quality our customers expect.
The world's largest brands in transportation, insurance, aviation and media, depend on us for the most accurate and precise weather updates. Our organization delivers billions of forecasts a day around the world via seamless cross-platform technology. We connect clients and consumers to the weather intel they need, on any device. This is done by aggregating rich datasets - both business and consumer - to create analytics and insight which are delivered as personal, reliable, and actionable weather information.
Weather affects every inhabitant of Earth, every day, as well as every business that serves them. At The Weather Company, we deliver solutions that allow businesses to achieve the positive outcomes in the face of severe or unexpected weather. Weather Means Business™.
- Provide meteorological quality control for The Weather Company's global products and services including NOWrad Mosaic Radar, satellite imagery, lightning data and market-specific custom graphics.
- Monitor The Weather Company's central facility system involving processes that ingest, generate and broadcast unaltered and value added data products and services worldwide
- Collaborate with technical staff to fault isolate and resolve issues impacting data services
- Collaborate closely with the forecast teams regarding synoptic, regional and mesoscale weather events expected to impact customer assets worldwide
- Generate storm-following short fused forecasts depicting information for significant weather events including severe weather and tropical systems
- Provide resource for special projects involving all aspects of TWC's Meteorological Services as needed
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- At least 1 year experience in weather-related role
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Solid understanding of theoretical and practical meteorology
- Ability to deliver operational content consistently and accurately within rigid time constraints
- Demonstrable and exceptional telephone, verbal and interpersonal communications skills
- Demonstrable organizational, data analysis, data collation and process management skills
- Effectively summarize large quantities of data into clear, concise information under rigid time constraints
- Demonstrable proficiency in utilizing advanced workstation technology and scientific methods to derive forecast products in an operational environment
- Ability to effectively adjust priorities based on changing weather conditions in a fast-paced operational environment essential
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Experience with Windows/ Unix/ Linux operating systems
- Familiarity with C++/PERL/FORTRAN programming languages
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Back to top