Logic-Designer in Processor Development (m/f/x)
As a Hardware Developer at IBM, you'll get to work on the systems that are driving the quantum revolution and the AI era. Join an elite team of engineering professionals who enable IBM customers to make better decisions quicker on the most trusted hardware platform in today's market.
Your Role and Responsibilities
We are looking for you as a hardware developer (m/f/x) for our leading-edge microprocessors of our future high-end- and high-performance computers. You'll get to work on the systems that are driving the quantum revolution and the AI era. Join an elite team of engineering professionals who enable IBM customers to make better decisions quicker on the most trusted hardware platform in today's market.
As an addition to our team we're hiring development engineer / logic designer (m/f/x) in the areas of Arithmetic, Caches and Chip Control/Test starting 1.1.2020.
You will work in a self-organized development team located across the globe (Germany, India, USA, etc. ) to find solutions to complex questionings with the help of modern design techniques , e.g.:
- automated test environment
- continuous integration
- close interaction with verification and physical design teams
- cross-domain collaboration across the stack (logic design / physical design / firmware / software)
The execution unit within the processor core implements a large part of the instruction set architecture (ISA). The arithmetic engines within this unit are being continuously improved and extended with every new processor generation to keep up with the steadily growing demand for compute power.
Some of the specialities in our field of engagement are:
- fixed-point & floating-point arithmetic including complex SIMD instructions as well as the complete implementation of the IEEE-754 standard
- optimization of real-life workloads in the field of Artificial Intelligence, High Performance Computing & Cryptography
- RISC & CISC microarchitecture implementations
- superscalar & out-of-order processors & accelerators
- simultaneous multi-threading (SMT) support
- high-frequency pipeline design
- optimized design approach to meet power/utilization/rout ability/reliability requirements
- test-driven design
Cache design area
- The cache sub-system of a processor has a huge impact on overall system performance. Its task is not only to bring data in and out of the core, but also to manage virtual memory, ensure memory coherency, and prevent data loss in the presence of hardware faults:
- operate the cache hierarchy
- translation lookaside buffer and dynamic address translation
- multi-processor coherency
- system operations
- interlock with firmware, operating systems, and performance teams
Chip Control & Test design area
- This team deals with the development and continuous improvement of the chip control and test/debug infrastructure - the logic that ties the chip together and without which the chip would not be able to boot at all.
This includes, but is not limited to:
- Infrastructure for system control and configuration
- Clock and power control
- On-chip logic analyzers
- Built-in system testing (BIST) ;
- Interfaces to external components like SPI, I²C, JTAG and system management controllers
- Observability and testability - figure out which one out of a billion latches is not working right
- Asynchronicity and power domains - Make sure that logic that's communicating across multiple asynchronous clocks and voltages still works correctly
- Bootstrapping - devise a sequence to bring the chip from chaos to order
- Debugging - Leverage on-chip debugging abilities to figure out field and lab problems way beyond our own logic
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
You have a Bachelor or Master degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, physics or computer science and you have expertise in processor architecture, digital design/circuits with VHDL/Verilog (or other languages) and Boolean algebra.
You have basic German skills and you're proficient in English.
You are experienced in team work & communication skills.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
About Business Unit
IBM Systems helps IT leaders think differently about their infrastructure. IBM servers and storage are no longer inanimate - they can understand, reason, and learn so our clients can innovate while avoiding IT issues. Our systems power the world's most important industries and our clients are the architects of the future. Join us to help build our leading-edge technology portfolio is designed for cognitive business and optimized for cloud computing.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you're looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world. What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities - where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust - where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM's greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Back to top