Linux Administrator - Cloud
IBM Global Business Services (GBS) is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants enabling enterprises to make smarter decisions and providing unparalleled client and consumer experiences in cognitive, data analytics, cloud technology and mobile app development. With global reach, outcome-focused methodologies and deep industry expertise, IBM GBS empowers clients to digitally reinvent their business and get the competitive edge in the cognitive era in over 170 countries.
Bottom line? We outthink ordinary. Discover what you can do at IBM.
The Public Service Sector consulting practice is a trusted advisor to federal, state and local governments, partnering to meet challenges and responding quickly to citizen demands, business needs, new economic conditions, and changing legislative priorities and policies.
This position is for a Linux Administrator supporting a commercial cloud services infrastructure. Responsibilities include:
- Build new cloud based data center services environments for DoD cloud initiatives
- Assist with identifying and planning potential new cloud services, features, and capabilities
- Serve as overall subject matter expert on Linux Administrator technology and market capabilities/trends
- Collaborate with internal and external parties to transform high-level technical objectives into comprehensive technical requirements
- Formulate detailed network, storage, and compute design specifications for stable and secure computing operations in a dynamic cloud based environment
- Make recommendations for improvements to security, scalability, manageability, and performance across a wide variety of network, storage, and compute technologies
This work location for this role is at the client site in Radford, Virginia. Candidates must be clearable to DoD Secret clearance. An interim DOD Secret clearance or higher level clearance is required on Day 1. Benefits
Health Insurance. Paid time off. Corporate Holidays. Sick leave. Family planning. Financial Guidance. Competitive 401K. Training and Learning. We continue to expand our benefits and programs, offering some of the best support, guidance and coverage for a diverse employee population.
Our goal is to be essential to the world, which starts with our people. Company wide we kicked off an internal talent strategy program called Go Organic. At our core, we are committed to believing and investing in our workforce through:
- Skill development: helping our employees grow their foundational skills
- Finding the dream job at IBM: navigating our company with the potential for many careers by channeling an employee's strengths and career aspirations
- Diversity of people: Diversity of thought driving collective innovation
In 2015, Go Organic filled approximately 50% of our open positions with internal talent that were promoted into the role.
With an employee population of 375,000 in over 170 countries, amazingly we connect, collaborate, and care. IBMers drive a corporate culture of shared responsibility. We love grand challenges and everyday improvements for our company and for the world. We care about each other, our clients, and the communities we live, work, and play in!
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- A total of at least 3-5 years of experience as a Linus Administrator
- Mid to senior level Linux Administrator experience in a cloud environment
- Security+ (Or equivalent IA cert) and computing environment certification (i.e. RHCSA, RHCE, etc.)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience effectively managing multiple large-scale projects
- Experience automating routine administrative tasks desired
- Understanding of network, storage, server, and application technologies
- Strong knowledge of automation concepts, tools, and scripting languages (Ansible, Puppet, Chef, etc.)
- Interim DoD Secret clearance/DoD Secret clearance is required in Day 1.
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Working knowledge of DoD STIGs, and IA Vulnerability Management (IAVM) - preferred
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Back to top