Junior Data Scientist - Coop (Toronto, ON)
Change the world at IBM. There aren't many companies who can say they have been an integral part of the global business landscape for more than a century. While the world has changed considerably over the past 100 years, IBM, our people and our offerings have continuously led the way with business and technology innovation.
Today, we are more than a hardware, software and services provider, yet we remain true to our heritage as a team of collaborative forward-thinkers, focused on making business and society work better. We are part of the fabric of everyday life and stand for world-changing progress.
Join a company where you can make an impact and literally change the world. With so many different opportunities available - the sky is the limit!
*This position resides in Toronto, Ontario and is a 4-month work term commencing January 2019. It is mandatory that all applicants are enrolled in full-time studies at a post-secondary institution and returning to full-time studies upon completion of the work term.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging, innovative and rewarding
- A business casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to the Future Blue Community - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
In an online, mobile world, traditional financial institutions are facing increasing competition from startups and disruptors in the FinTech space. We use statistical models to help banks decision more effective marketing campaigns, insurers to better understand the risks their clients face and to offer the best coverage, and to financial advisors to monitor, interact with and engage their clients more consistently. Would you like your bank to serve you better? With your contribution to our tools, it could happen!
the Data Science team in IBM's Watson Financial Services development group is charged with design, implementation and delivery of analytic models used by a range of financial-services-oriented solutions. Our models include neural nets, clustering, natural language processing, machine learning, support vector machines, and Bayesian inference, to name just a few. We work directly with IBM Research to productize "first of a kind" prototypes and with services teams to help them help our clients to understand their business and to enable them to take action using consistent, robust, integrated analytics.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
- Experience in one of the following fields: mathematics, statistics, operations research, engineering, economics or quantitative finance.
- Programming or scripting skills for data science (e.g., python, Scala)
- Exposure to working with financial data (e.g., stock market, retail banking, asset management or insurance premia).
- English: Fluent
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Knowledge of big data models, esp. denormalization
- Hands on work experience with Python
- Hands on work experience with Spark (esp. PySpark)
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Back to top