IoT & AI Developer - Coop (Toronto, ON)
Software Developers at IBM are the backbone of our strategic initiatives to design, code, test, and provide industry-leading solutions that literally make the world run today - planes and trains take off on time, bank transactions complete in the blink of an eye and the world remains safe because of the work our software developers do. Whether you are working on projects internally or for a client, software development is critical to the success of IBM and our clients worldwide. At IBM, you will use latest software development tools, techniques and approaches and work leading minds in the industry to build solutions you can be proud of.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Change the world at IBM. There aren't many companies who can say they have been an integral part of the global business landscape for more than a century. While the world has changed considerably over the past 100 years, IBM, our people and our offerings have continuously led the way with business and technology innovation.
Today, we are more than a hardware, software and services provider, yet we remain true to our heritage as a team of collaborative forward-thinkers, focused on making business and society work better. We are part of the fabric of everyday life and stand for world-changing progress.
Join a company where you can make an impact and literally change the world. With so many different opportunities available - the sky is the limit!
*This position resides in Toronto, Ontario and is a 4-month work term commencing September 2019. It is mandatory that all applicants are enrolled in full-time studies at a post-secondary institution and returning to full-time studies upon completion of the work term.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging, innovative and rewarding
- A business casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to the Future Blue Community - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts.
Having the freedom to bring your ideas and past experience into practice, this role allows an IoT enthusiast to work with various gadgets and robotics equipment, combined with latest technologies like AI, AR, Blockchain, key objective for this role is to realize an IoT ideas into reality. This position will expose the interns to technologies like drone, visual recognition, data modeling with sensor data, voice recognition, etc. Interns in the practice also have the opportunities to be coached by experienced engineers and Ph.D engineering graduates to conduct researches on advanced technologies like facial recognition, feature engineering, auto-encoding technique, etc. Some of the past students, leveraging what they have learned from this practice have become entrepreneurs and running their own startups. Within the execution of the project, interns will have opportunity to learn about various technologies in IBM cloud, AWS, and Azure. Below provides a more detailed description of the various technologies used in past projects.
By 2020, there will be 30 Billion connected devices and IoT will generate 40% of all data. Beyond connectivity, IoT value will be driven by a revolution in Artificial intelligence-delivered through advanced analytics and cognitive capabilities.
IBM Watson IoT team is a global leader in helping clients re-invent their businesses with IoT by enhancing efficiencies in manufacturing, operation, asset optimization, financial services, and supply chain management. Visit our website to get an overview of the IBM Watson IoT Platform and solutions, https://www.ibm.com/internet-of-things/
IBM Watson IoT platform is an industry leading cloud solution that allows you to:
- Connect and manage IoT devices, networks and gateways
- Integrating IoT data with structured and unstructured data from other sources
- Gaining insights from information using real-time, predictive and cognitive analytics
- Secure IoT data with Blockchain
- Develop custom machine learning algorithms using both IBM Watson and open source Deep Learning, CNN, and Computer Vision software
- Deploy embedded computing and edge analytics to IoT systems
IoT Platform / Full Stack Developer ?xml:namespace prefix = "o" /
>?xml:namespace prefix = "o" /
>?xml:namespace prefix = "o" /
- Experience with cloud platforms development environments including AwS, Bluemix and Azure
- Understanding of API specs and knowledge of how to create and integrate with REST services using NodeJS, ExpressJS, Sails.js, Java, etc
- Experience with SQL and noSQL databases. Big data (Hadoop, Spark) platform is a plus
- Comp Eng, Comp Sci students with strong API and web development skills
AI / Machine Learning Developer
- Hands-on experience with fast prototyping using public libraries and APIs for Machine Learning or Deep Learning
- Frameworks such as caffe, chainer, tensorflow, synaptic, eblearn, torch, shark, etc...
- Comp Eng, Comp Sci students with strong Math and programming skills
Embedded Systems Developer
- Understanding of IoT hardware, sensors, gateway, network, etc
- Capable of interfacing with sensors, gateways, and transceivers using embedded stack protocols and edge computing
- Programming skills with C, c++, python, JS, Java, etc
- Comp eng, Electrical eng, Mechanical eng, Systems Eng, Nanotech eng, Mechatronic eng
Are you eager to harness the IoT potential by collecting and securing data to gain real time actionable insight and implement AI solutions? Are you that person who sees opportunity everywhere for digital technology to improve experiences? Can you collaborate and push the envelope to design, develop and implement leading applications for our clients? We want your skills and experience. Bring us your work portfolio and let's talk!
Required Professional and Technical Expertise
- Minimum of two co-op work terms in a development role
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Professional and Technical Expertise
About Business Unit
IBM Services is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants that design, build, and run foundational systems and services that is the backbone of the world's economy. IBM Services partners with the world's leading companies in over 170 countries to build smarter business by reimagining and reinventing through technology, with its outcome-focused methodologies, industry-leading portfolio and world class research and operations expertise leading to results-driven innovation and enduring excellence.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you're looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world. What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities - where you can truly discover your passion. Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust - where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM's greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Back to top