Infrastructure Specialist: System Administration
As part of our Operations team, you'll be monitoring and maintaining the infrastructure and various applications in three Data Centers in a technical support role. If there are any issues or changes required, such as infrastructure and access issues, or application issues, you'll be responsible for reacting to the monitoring alerts or to the calls from Tier 1 support.
Most importantly, as businesses cannot afford to be without the whole system, or individual workstations, for more than the minimum time taken to repair or replace them, your technical support is vital to the ongoing operational efficiency of the company.
The Operations team is responsible for the maintenance of the application and infrastructure. Project tasks and maintenance tasks are expected to be part of your daily duties. Planned interventions can be combined with unplanned activities, depending on their emergency.
Tasks will include installing and configuring virtual systems and applications, diagnosing hardware/software faults and solving access problems.
Your operational responsibilities include:
- Ensure Applications and Infrastructure are in running mode
- Logging your work by opening and keeping customer support tickets updated
- Be available during on-call in the time required to connect and investigate
- Testing and fixing faulty equipment
- Update Documentation (Manuals, Guides, Lessons Learned) so similar issues can be fixed faster or preempted
- Analyze call logs so you can spot common trends and underlying problems
- Working with Project Teams (Development) to ensure smooth hand-over to Operations or during support if the problem is more serious
Access to various technologies. Responsibilities and roles increase based on your performance and your desired area of expertise.
- Logical thinker and good problem solving skills
- Experience with Linux and/or AIX (preferable)
- Networking experience, CCNA (if available)
- Database Install and configuration experience, DB2 (pureScale, if available)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to assess an error (alarm, notification) fast
- Ability to deal within the established time frame to an emergency call
- Availability for on-call support (one week, every couple of weeks, by rotation)
- University degree in a technical field
- Previous experience in networking support or application support
- Development experience (scripting ksh, java, C etc., as available)
- Scripting requirements
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience with Linux and/or AIX
- Networking experience, CCNA
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Database Install and configuration experience
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Back to top