IBM is transforming to lead. Join the next generation of IBMers to help change the very way the world works. Help lead IBM's safety culture and ensure IBMers maintain the commitment to health and safety as a standard at all times. There is no better place to launch or further your career.
IBM is seeking a motivated Industrial Hygienist with professional knowledge and ability to 1) recognize and properly evaluate potential hazards and 2) help implement comprehensive employee health, safety and well-being controls in an IBM manufacturing facility, as well as in various work environments across Canada. Areas of focus include chemical safety, exposure assessments, radiation safety, indoor air quality, hearing conservation, personal protective equipment, confined space, industrial hygiene programs and general hazard recognition. You will need to effectively work with other support organizations and management to understand and measure the value of proactive employee well-being programs.
Who you are:
- You are a creative self-starter and proficient technical expert with excellent organization, communication and negotiation skills.
- Uses knowledge from several technical disciplines to recognize potential hazards, determine root causes and recommend action plans for complex issues. Ability to understand the business environment and prioritize in a dynamic environment. Utilizes research, observation and both chemical and physical methods for analyzing workplace conditions and ultimately developing appropriate cost-effective solutions.
- You have leadership skills required to give technical and administrative direction to others and lead small teams. Has responsibility for helping set and meet organizational mission and interpreting IBM policies and practices in areas of expertise as they relate to employee well-being. Sets own work priorities within scope of the team.
What you'll do:
- Join the IBM Corporate Health and Safety team to incorporate the organizations mission into IBM Bromont and IBM Canada to prevent and minimize the risk of occupational hazards to IBM employees. You will have the opportunity to represent IBM Bromont and IBM Canada operations within the Global and Americas health and safety teams.
- Effectively work independently and partner with multi-function and cross-border teams to provide employee well-being services and develop/implement new employee well-being initiatives. This includes coordination and interaction with other occupational health services professionals and HR members regarding wellness programs, medical surveillance programs, employee accommodation programs, etc.
- Provide advice and guidance to IBM Senior and Line Management, Legal, Human Resources, Real Estate and Security function with respect to compliance to occupational health and safety legislation, industrial hygiene practices, regulations and standards across Canada.
- Support the Business with compliance to IBM Canada's Health and Safety Management System including evaluating existing processes, trend analysis and continuous improvement opportunities.
- Develop health & safety strategy and governance for company standards in IBM Bromont and IBM Canada.
- Develops, implements and maintains programs and processes to assist line management in alignment with company safety standards.
- Act as IBM Canada's primary industrial hygiene contact for provincial government agencies including management of regulatory inspections.
- Participate as a member of site and provincial Crisis Management Teams.
- Conduct occupational health and safety inspections, investigations, audits, chemical authorizations/evaluations, safety training and hazard assessments; analyze results and recommend appropriate corrective actions.
- Maintains awareness of regulatory and company requirements in addition to professional advancements in area employee well-being disciplines. Assumes additional responsibilities as assigned.
How we'll help you grow:
- You will have an opportunity to expand your knowledge and skills by actively participating in internal and external training (seminars, technical meetings and professional societies) and maintain contact with appropriate standard-setting agencies.
- You will have the opportunity to work closely with a high performing local and global health and safety team for support and to enhance and develop skills.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Have a minimum Bachelor's degree in industrial hygiene or a closely-related scientific technical discipline or equivalent.
- Professional knowledge in the field of industrial hygiene, safety or engineering as evidenced by experienced or specialized training in areas such as chemical safety, exposure assessments, indoor air quality controls, industrial hygiene programs, auditing and general hazard recognition.
- Have a CIH or ROH certification or be able to obtain one of these certifications.
- Bilingual - French and English
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Have basic to advanced skills in computer operations (Office)
- Able to travel occasionally.
- Preferred experience as an industrial hygienist in a manufacturing setting.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Meet Some of IBM's Employees
Leadership Development Solutions Leader
Peter works with a variety of teams within IBM to increase organizational clarity, equip leaders to serve well, and provide opportunities for employees to continually grow and expand their skills.
Back to top