IBM Cloud Garage Visual Designer
Interested in solving complex design problems for the world's largest technology company? The IBM Cloud Garage is an "Innovation and Transformation" consultancy located in the heart of the start-up community. Our design first organization applies IBM Design Thinking and Lean User Experience (UX) techniques to help our clients, large and small, deliver amazing experiences to their customers by helping them identify and build the right app on IBM Cloud. Our fast paced, collaborative, and co-located teams makes the IBM Cloud Garage the most exciting place for a designer to be.
IBM Cloud is IBM Platform as a Services (PaaS) and is a core part of IBM's cloud strategy. IBM Cloud is trailblazing new technology platform and cloud services, devOps, business models, developer outreach, and with the creation of the IBM Cloud Garage - a new type of consulting services lab. Our clients choosing IBM Cloud are looking for innovation and agility in how apps are defined, designed, and developed.
We are assembling an 'A' team of developers, product managers, and designers. Collaboration, and rapid iteration is at the core of the way we design and build products. Garage designers will pair with other designers and developers to rapidly design engaging solutions for client projects in 4 to 12 week cycles. We are looking for visual designers who are able to work quickly to deliver irresistible experiences for mobile and web applications - UX design and/or front-end development experience is a plus. Candidate will understand the principles of reaching human beings through design and making software delightful and intuitive.
A candidate must provide a portfolio that demonstrates proven typographic skills, understanding of color and visual hierarchy, and aesthetics. Experience working in a contracting environment is a plus.
The candidate will have:
- Proven track record of delightful and innovative designs
- Demonstrate an ability to create wireframes and high-fidelity designs using tools such as Sketch and Invision
- Demonstrate an understanding of agile development practices
- Experience with working closely with the customer as part of a continuous design process
- Proven typographic skills
- Experience working with developers
- An understanding of interface and user experience design best practices for web and mobility devices
- Knowledge of design tools including Adobe Creative Suite and Axure
- Proven communication, storytelling, and prototyping skills
- Ability to work independently, when needed, as well as collaborate with a cross-functional team
- Ability to conceptualize quickly and present in-progress work for critique
- Ability to work within constraints and maintain branding* Create and translate wireframes into visual designs
- Understanding of design processes, especially IBM Design Thinking, and Lean UX
Responsibilities of the position:
- Provide support during discussions with prospective clients, help assess design needs for projects, with senior designer, help to scope and craft design portion of proposals
- Attention to design detail and the understanding of when and how to apply it
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices in typography, color theory and iconography
- Proven understanding of mobile and desktop graphic techniques and production practices
- Assist in pulling together retrospective presentations to document for the client the value-add of Design Thinking to their specific project.
- Demonstrated ability to produce quick, low-fidelity sketches and sleek, high fidelity visuals on tight schedules with a ton of initiative
- Collaborate with developers to iteratively design experiences that delight customers while improving the bottom line
- This position will include some amount of travel, the specific amount of travel will depend on the candidate's interest in this aspect
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Meet Some of IBM's Employees
Leadership Development Solutions Leader
Peter works with a variety of teams within IBM to increase organizational clarity, equip leaders to serve well, and provide opportunities for employees to continually grow and expand their skills.
Back to top