HPC Senior Program/Project Manager
IBM Global Business Services (GBS) is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants enabling enterprises to make smarter decisions and providing unparalleled client and consumer experiences in cognitive, data analytics, cloud technology and mobile app development. With global reach, outcome-focused methodologies and deep industry expertise, IBM GBS empowers clients to digitally reinvent their business and get the competitive edge in the cognitive era in over 170 countries. Bottom line? We out-think ordinary. Discover what you can do at IBM.
The High Performance Computer (HPC) Program Manager will manage highly complex, mission critical system delivery, installation, maintenance and support projects and serve as a primary focal point for assigned Customer account(s). Other responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Direct, execute, and control all elements of assigned project(s)
- Present and discuss with the Customer PM and leadership as well as IBM leadership the most current and realistic status of the contractual effort and to provide access to all pertinent records
- Ensure software & hardware support efforts are fully coordinated and seamlessly integrated with other project efforts
- Participate and/or drive the development of new technology project proposals
- Own and manage relationships with appropriate vendors/ business partners in support of current and/or future projects
- Manage all technical staff for assigned projects
- Ensure assigned project(s) are managed within scope, schedule and budget using proven project management tools and methodologies
- PMP certification preferred
- Must be able to be approved (pass a minimum background investigation) for a clearance, not required to start
Health Insurance. Paid time off. Corporate Holidays. Sick leave. Family planning. Financial Guidance. Competitive 401K. Training and Learning. We continue to expand our benefits and programs, offering some of the best support, guidance and coverage for a diverse employee population.
Our goal is to be essential to the world, which starts with our people. Company wide we kicked off an internal talent strategy program called Go Organic. At our core, we are committed to believing and investing in our workforce through:
- Skill development: helping our employees grow their foundational skills
- Finding the dream job at IBM: navigating our company with the potential for many careers by channeling an employee's strengths and career aspirations
- Diversity of people: Diversity of thought driving collective innovation
In 2015, Go Organic filled approximately 50% of our open positions with internal talent that were promoted into the role.
With an employee population of 375,000 in over 170 countries, amazingly we connect, collaborate, and care. IBMers drive a corporate culture of shared responsibility. We love grand challenges and everyday improvements for our company and for the world. We care about each other, our clients, and the communities we live, work, and play in!
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
10+ years experience project managing highly complex hardware, software and services projects to include/not limited to experience with the following:
- Lead and direct efforts using appropriate project management skills including, budget administration, issue, communication and risk management
- Define and drive complex project schedules and ensuring on-time delivery
- Identify and manage both technical and non-technical project dependencies
- Develop and deliver program updates, proposals, and presentations to executives and all cross-team stakeholders in a timely and clear fashion
- Develop best practices; create new or improve existing process and tools for project execution
- 5+ yrs experience project managing high performance computing (HPC) projects and/or other similar in scope, enterprise class projects
- 2+ yrs experience with driving the development of proposals for project scope expansion and/or new opportunities
- PMP certification must be achievable within 1 year of date of hire
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- PMP certification
- 2+ years experience project managing high performance computing (HPC) projects or other similar in scope, enterprise class projects
- Understanding of HPC infrastructure landscape and demonstrated experience with processes for procurement, deployment, and operation
- Track record of successfully managing large complex projects involving vendors, software developers, IT staff, and research stakeholders
- Strong program-development skills in order to develop innovative services and tools
- Ability to analyze and assess needs in HPC computing administration
- Experience in product/service roadmap planning, analysis, design, development, testing, release, product launch and post-launch support
- Experience managing portfolios > $20M / year revenue
- Ability to recognize/proactively generate new business opportunities
- A degree in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, information systems, or computational science & engineering is preferred.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Meet Some of IBM's Employees
Leadership Development Solutions Leader
Peter works with a variety of teams within IBM to increase organizational clarity, equip leaders to serve well, and provide opportunities for employees to continually grow and expand their skills.
Back to top