Hardware (Mechanical) Engineer
IBM is seeking a Mechanical Design/Modeling Engineer to work at its T. J. Watson Research Center located in Yorktown Heights, NY.
You will work on designing and modeling of mechanical components subject to thermal and mechanical stress at ambient and cryogenic temperatures. Components are designed using computer aided design tools such as SolidWorks for fabrication.
Designs are evaluated prior to fabrication using Ansys for thermal and themomechanical response.
- Experience with finite element modeling technique and meshing of complex geometry is a must.
- Ability to integrate metallic and polymeric materials for thermally optimized microwave components along with other electronic packaging materials is required.
- Knowledge of printed circuit board to provide interconnect functions is an advantage to complete projects with independence.
- You must be able to communicate and work with a dynamic interdisciplinary team composed of electrical engineers, microwave engineers and experimental physicists.
- Experience in designing parts and assemblies to meet well defined or partially defined technical objectives is required.
- Proven ability to work with fabrication teams and external vendors is required to meet project objectives according to time schedules.
The World is Our Laboratory No matter where discovery takes place; IBM researchers push the boundaries of science, technology and business to make the world work better. IBM Research is a global community of forward-thinkers working towards a common goal: progress.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- At least 5 years of experience in using SolidWorks for mechanical design.
- 10 years of experience with Ansys Mechanical and Multi-physics modules.
- 10 years of experience with Ansys Workbench for effective parametric studies.
- 10 years of experience working with electronic packaging challenges.
- Ability to gain and maintain an appropriate security clearance
- US citizenship
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Knowledge of various CAD file format to create 3D design from vendor supplied data.
- Familiarity with material properties to launch modeling effort quickly.
- Drive to pursue projects with partially defined initial specifications.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office products.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Back to top