Government & Regulatory Affairs Executive
At IBM, work is more than a job - it's a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you've never thought possible. To lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world's most challenging problems.
Your Role and Responsibilities
The Government & Regulatory Affairs Executive will be responsible for public policy and regulatory issues that impact the company in Hungary and IBM's key locations in Europe. S/He will oversee the development of proactive public policy strategies to favorably impact the company's operating environment in Hungary and the EU. Though this is not a sales position, s/he will also build effective relationships that can support the company in achieving new business with government customers.
High-level relationships in Budapest are critical as a strong emphasis will be placed on an overall strategic approach to public policy and government affairs. The Hungarian Government is the key focus, but it is also important that the candidate be able to develop and grow relationships with Hungarian members of the European Parliament, and with other companies and trade associations in Hungary.
The Government & Regulatory Affairs Executive will work with the Country Leader and colleagues in the global Government & Regulatory Affairs organization to develop and implement the company's strategies as they relate to issues including, but not limited to the following: technology policy and issues around trust in technology; Artificial Intelligence; Cyber security & Privacy; market access and trade; pension and workforce flexibility; tax and corporate governance; and public sector spending plans in areas such as healthcare IT, efficient energy infrastructure, education, government digitalisation, intelligent transport systems, and other procurement areas.
The position will report to the Vice President, Government and Regulatory Affairs, Europe, based in Brussels, and will have strong functional guidance from the Country Leader, Hungary. S/He will be a member of the company's country leadership team and will be expected to consult with and advise members of senior management on all governmental programs matters to ensure alignment of company goals and objectives. Significant business and stakeholder relationship experience is critical, as well as the ability to build effective external and internal relationship networks.
An understanding of the IT industry would be an important plus; however, deep functional experience in global public policy, with proven relationships and proven relationship and coalition building skills, is essential.
Additionally, the Government & Regulatory Affairs Executive will:
- Act as a key external messenger who can communicate the direction of the company and its strategy to external stakeholders in government and the corporate community.
- Oversee the creation and execution of government relations strategies and programs to ensure access to policy makers and influential persons, such that resulting government actions are aligned with company goals.
- Provide thought leadership in key public policy areas.
- Develop appropriate policy issues to help set the agenda and shape future events. Devise and implement an aggressive and pro-active strategic plan for successfully achieving specific results that are locally relevant in Hungary, while remaining globally consistent with the company's business strategy.
- Contribute to IBM's overall global government affairs strategy. Provide context on how the Hungary fits into the broader European and global landscape.
- Collaborate with corporate functions and business units to analyze and manage political risk in Hungary. This covers new projects and scenarios, as well as existing and ongoing programs.
- Effectively position the company as world-class, with high integrity, competitive and sustained performance, and as a valued partner.
- Establish and maintain high-level contacts with a wide variety of industry and non-industry individuals and groups who are in a position to compel/promote public, community, and government actions favorable to the company. Work closely with senior management to assist in the development of those policy positions and relationships that increase the profile of the company in support of the company's business objectives, customer initiatives, and reputation.
- Maintain strong communications between the various entities of IBM in Hungary, line units, functions and the Country Leader.
- Serve as a trusted advisor and spokesperson for IBM in Hungary.
Required Professional and Technical Expertise
- Proven track record in a leadership role that involves government or government affairs.
- Global acumen and experience is a must.
- Excellent communication skills both in English and Hungarian.
- A demonstrated ability to "move the needle" regarding political and policy matters.
- The ability to work across the full range of IBM business operations that can be affected by government policies and regulations; a keen interest in learning the business and building internal networks.
- The ability to develop and execute a strategic plan.
- An ability to anticipate changes in public policy and government regulation that may affect the company, and develop proactive solutions to address such changes.
- The ability to inspire confidence in senior managers within the company, and confidence around the company with external constituencies. The ability to represent IBM with integrity and stature.
- Maturity and sound business judgment.
- A commercial outlook.
Preferred Professional and Technical Expertise
- Experience working for a large corporation is preferred, and senior level experience within government is a plus.
About Business Unit
IBM has a global presence, operating in more than 175 countries with a broad-based geographic distribution of revenue. The company's Global Markets organization is a strategic sales business unit that manages IBM's global footprint, working closely with dedicated country-based operating units to serve clients locally. These country teams have client relationship managers who lead integrated teams of consultants, solution specialists and delivery professionals to enable clients' growth and innovation. By complementing local expertise with global experience and digital capabilities, IBM builds deep and broad-based client relationships. This local management focus fosters speed in supporting clients, addressing new markets and making investments in emerging opportunities. Additionally, the Global Markets organization serves clients with expertise in their industry as well as through the products and services that IBM and partners supply. IBM is also expanding its reach to new and existing clients through digital marketplaces.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you're looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world. What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities - where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust - where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM's greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Back to top