German & Swiss Payroll Manager
At IBM, work is more than a job - it's a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you've never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world's most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Objective of the job:
The Payroll 1st Line Operations Manager will report to the Payroll 2rd Line Operations Manager and Country Process Owner (in-country) and will assume responsibility for the delivery of Payroll.
The prime responsibility of the Payroll 1st Line Operations Manager is to deliver payroll payments with accuracy and timeliness, to comply with country legislation and to lead and develop highly skilled and energetic payroll teams to deliver excellent and consistent service to IBM's employees, delivering within the expected performance guidelines for accuracy and timeliness, ensuring compliance and continuously looking to improve both profitability and the efficiency of day-to-day payroll operations and work processes.
Leadership is an essential element of this role.
Responsibilities include ensuring service compliance, Governance of the region's payrolls.
- People Management -
- Responsible for conducting employee appraisal and performance assessments as well as career development and reward and recognition.
- Human Resource policy compliance (manage absence, employee welfare, disciplinary action).
- Recruitment process - interview and selection.
- Team Health & Safety compliance responsibility.
- 'Strive to make payroll a compelling place to work' - motivate team members.
- Core skill building - the Payroll Manager is responsible for organising internal and external training (where required) in order to build skills, expertise and capability within the team.
- Coaching - instil and facilitate efficient working and administration practices in all team members. Develop and deploy annual team work plans based on regional organisation strategies and business priorities.
- Task management:
- Ensure effective payroll team design.
- Resource plan.
- Set team priorities and direction.
- Provide updates to 2nd line Operations Manager /CPO when required
- Attend management meetings
- Budget management and control:
- Control team spending levels
- Prioritise spending
- Identify cost cutting opportunities
- Project management:
- Lead and deploy payroll projects
- Participate in local (ISSC) and global projects as required.
- Assist with building and preparing the organization for new business
- Identify, review and assist in change management related to process improvement
- Monitor and complete readiness assessment for transitions
- The Payroll Manager must have up to date expert knowledge of the country end to end payroll processes.
- County specific statutory / legal expertise.
- In-depth understanding of HR and compensation policies. Ability to apply and make decisions thereon. Escalating and referring to the 2nd Line Operations Manager/CPO and Regional Operations lead where appropriate.
- Develop sound knowledge of cross-process dependencies.
- Payroll system knowledge - understanding of system structure and capability.
- Sound project management skills with the ability to assess new initiatives and use the required tracking tools.
- Fluency in English and German
- SLA management and escalation, team results tracking.
- Broad understanding of payroll accounting practices and principles and their link into the payroll process.
- Where appropriate, must have a good level of understanding of expatriate payroll procedures
- Role model the desired customer service behaviour internally and externally.
- Seek out customer expectations and pro-actively engage in people / process step changes to deliver improved customer service.
- High level issue resolution.
- Develop and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with stakeholders and third parties.
- Cultivate and maintain positive links with the Local Delivery organisation to achieve process improvement and a 'one-team' mindset.
Compliance & Controls:
- Have a good working knowledge of IBM controls as well as legal/statutory controls.
- Ensuring that all payroll tasks are completed with the acceptable levels of control.
- Ensure strict compliance with all internal, external and contractual controls processes.
- Provide formal sign off prior to payroll run and for out of payroll payments.
- Review and approve process documentation (DTPS, SOD)
- Participate in Business controls related calls
- Ensure an up to date access tracker in maintained
- Design, monitor and close action plan to remediate any non compliance
Required skills, education and experience:
- Innovative - continually looking to analyse and improve work processes. Ability to create opportunities for cost savings and revenue generation.
- Strong leadership skills - role model for effective team work and communication.
- Strong management and organizational skills. Ability to prioritize.
- Attention to detail and accuracy in every aspect of the role is essential.
- Demonstrable language capability - spoken and written in English and the given country language when applicable
- Solutions - ability to deal with complex issues, identify solutions and implement often under pressure.
- Customer service skills are paramount, with a desire to continually seek improvement of the service given to all customers.
- Manage workloads to meet strict daily, weekly, monthly and annual deadlines.
- Must maintain complete confidentiality and exercise integrity and discretion at all times.
- Ability to work across boundaries and form productive working relationships with other departments in the quest to improve efficiencies and effectiveness throughout the Shared Service Centre.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Adaptability to an ever changing environment.
Required Professional and Technical Expertise
- Payroll experience (Preferred) or HR experience.
- Good command of Excel (intermediate required - advanced preferred).
- Leadership experience (2 years management experience required not necessarily in the Payroll area).
- Excellent communication skills in English and German.
- Good organizational skills and ability to work under time pressure.
- Coaching skills.
- Ability to work across borders/cultures.
Preferred Professional and Technical Expertise
About Business Unit
IBM Corporate Headquarters (CHQ) team represents a variety of functions such as marketing, finance, legal, operations, HR, and more, all working together to solve some of the world's most complex problems, help our clients achieve success and build collaborative work environments for IBMers.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you're looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities - where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust - where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM's greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Back to top