Full Stack Web Developer
We are a part of IBMs global Chief Information Office responsible for building applications and solving problems for IBM's 210,000 Business Partners and the IBMers who support them. Our vision is to become a world class delivery organisation and deliver business value at speed. To support this vision, we recently moved into a new purpose built facility designed to encourage collaboration and creativity, housed within the world's largest WeWork site next to London Waterloo.
Your Role and Responsibilities
As a Full Stack Web Developer, you'll be using the latest tools and technologies available to deliver state-of-the-art software and web applications. You'll have an opportunity to drive the choice of technologies used as we transform our applications and experiment with the best new tools for the job based on upcoming industry trends. You'll be responsible for ensuring that components are expertly architected, tested, debugged, verified, and delivered into various contexts across the IBM Enterprise, creating a productive environment for IBMers and our Business Partners.
Some of our existing projects are:
- An opportunity management application, used by all of our Business Partners, with a sophisticated DevOps pipeline in place
- A "What You See Is What You Get" website creator, to bring IBM's Content Strategists closer to their audience
- An interactive analytics dashboard, showcasing live, worldwide data about how our Business Partners are working
A typical day could involve beginning with your team's daily stand-up following by walking to one of the plethora of cafes within the vicinity for your morning coffee. Next depending upon the day, you might join a stand-up about "Meetups in London" where people talk about the latest one they've attended or will attend that week. Then there's head down coding time for a couple of hours. Next could be attending a lunch and learn session by one of your colleagues on blockchain. You may have signed up to one of the IBMs over 20,000 free online courses for a refresher on a particular topic before you get back to coding for a few more hours, only to find that someone bought in some donuts or chocolates to share! Next you run an architecture session where you decide as a team how to solve a specific problem to do with your product. You may come back to find someone had submitted code for your review - which you can do easily because you have been working with that individual for some time and coached them to write better code.
At IBM we embrace diversity and value what individuals add to our culture. We believe highly empowered teams create the best products - so we take a group of designers, developers, and business analysts, and give them free reign on how to address problems, in a "We give you a problem, you decide how to solve it" environment.
Above all, we value curiosity, teamwork, and a desire to learn. We are confident that if you possess the right attitude, work ethic, and skill set that you could succeed in the role, even if you do not meet every one of the requirements.
- Meaningful development experience in back end web technologies such as NodeJS and/or Java frameworks
- Experience of modern testing frameworks and tools
- Experience building restful APIs and Web services
- Experience working with relational databases
- Experience with cloud-hosting solutions and CI/CD pipeline tools such as Jenkins and Travis.
- Comfortable multi-tasking and working as part of a global team, as well as working independently and taking ownership
- Adaptive to ambiguity and willing to change in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in enterprise transformation of monolithic application architectures to microservices
- Experience with Design thinking methods to understand personas and develop great user design
- Demonstrated ability to operate within short release cycles
- Experience using modern collaboration tools in a highly-responsive environment
- Great planning and organisational skills, good time management, with the ability to manage and prioritise own workload and to deal with urgent deadlines and changes to requirements
- Close teamworking and collaboration across both global and local team environments
- The ability to communicate across organisational boundaries and manage stakeholders
- A passion for creative solutions to real user needs and business problems
- Driven to achieve high levels of customer satisfaction, addressing the underlying problem and questioning any assumptions
- Logical approach to problem solving
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Highly motivated and productive, an entrepreneurial self-starter
- Demonstrable experience coaching junior members of your teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with fluency in English
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
As per job description
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
As per job description
About Business Unit
We are a part of IBMs global Chief Information Office responsible for building applications and solving problems for IBM's 210,000 Business Partners and the IBMers who support them.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you're looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities - where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust - where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM's greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Back to top