Entry Level Software Engineer - Colorado Springs, CO
Your Role and Responsibilities
IBM Global Business Services (GBS) is a team of business, strategy, and technology consultants enabling enterprises to make smarter decisions and providing unparalleled client and consumer experiences in cognitive, data analytics, cloud technology, and mobile app development. With global reach, outcome-focused methodologies and deep industry expertise, IBM GBS empowers clients to digitally reinvent their business and get the competitive edge in the cognitive era in over 170 countries. Bottom line? We outthink ordinary. Discover what you can do at IBM. What does the Software Engineer role within Public Service entail? Software Engineers work with Public Service clients, co-creating solutions to major real-world challenges confronting the federal, state, and local governments. Public Service Software Engineers utilize IBM's industry leading practices, worldwide commercial experience, and IBM Research technologies to design, develop, and integrate solutions. Software Engineers help their clients leverage technologies, tools, techniques, and products to deliver superior services for their organization that are in compliance with strict security requirements. Software Engineers can work on various projects that involve the use of cutting edge technologies such as: analytics, application management/development/maintenance, Artificial Intelligence (AI), automation, big data, Blockchain, biometrics, cloud, cognitive & computing technologies, design thinking, DevOps, encryption, Internet of Things (IoT), machine learning, micro-services, mobile development, cyber security and privacy, service desk modernization, system integration & architecture, testing, virtualization, and web design.
What are examples of roles a Software Engineer could have?
- Cloud and Infrastructure Specialist: Cloud and Infrastructure Specialists design, develop, integrate , and manage data centers, cloud and client onsite locations, networks, database , and storage technologies. These specialists support the deployment of cloud (IBM, AWS, Azure), databases (SQL, MySQL, noSQL , newSQL , Oracle, PostGreSQL ), Hypervisor (VMWare), networks ( Cisco firewalls, routers & switches) , Network Attached Storage (NAS), Storage Area Networks (SAN), Operating Systems (Windows, Linux, Ubuntu ), automation scripts ( CloudBolt, PowerShell, Puppet, ServiceNow , vRealize ), and servers (Wintel, Power, Solaris ). These Specialists leverage hands-on equipment to drive virtualization and IT automation and could support the delivery of Platform and Software-as-a-Service (PaaS/SaaS)
- DevOps Consultant: DevOps Consultants manage the DevOps toolchain and environment, enabling Agile development, automation, virtualization , and Infrastructure and Code (IaC) implementation to accelerate the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC). These consultants are responsible for the DevOps toolchain including: JIRA, Visual Studio, Fortify, JFrog , GitLab, ANSIBLE, Jenkins, XACTA360, Splunk, Apache Guacamole, Bluemix, AWS , and Azure. DevOps Consultants can also be required to complete system administration, testing , and code debugging.
What do we look for in a successful Software Engineer Candidate? We are looking for candidates that possess the following traits:
- Genuine interest in government, our clients, and their industries, and how technology can impact, support and transform day to day business processes
- Exposure to and/or experience with any of the aforementioned technical tools, platforms, and programming languages
- Analytical ability to create innovative solutions informed by data and commitment in implementing the change needed to ensure a successful outcome
- Utilizes innovative design thinking methods in solutioning client problems and has a commitment in implementing the change needed to ensure a successful outcome
- Innate problem-solving mindset with a desire to constantly learn and grow
- Team oriented mentality, in addition to the ability to complete work independently
- Strong communication skills with the ability to articulate and present information clearly and concisely to teammates and clients alike
- A track record of leadership with a bias for action, decision making, proactivity and risk taking (within reason) to achieve a desired outcome
Required Professional and Technical Expertise
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited 4-year institution coupled with internship/work and/or project experience which will provide the analytical and technical acumen that translates to an entry level consulting role
- Relocation to the Boulder, CO or Colorado Springs, CO area
- U.S. citizenship
- Ability of obtain a security clearance
- GPA above a 3.2
Preferred Professional and Technical Expertise
Degree/Majors: Business Information Technology, Computer Engineering, Computer Information Systems/Management Information Systems, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Electrical Engineering, Information Assurance, Information Science/Technology, Interactive Design, Network Engineering, Security & Risk Analysis, Software Engineering, Systems Engineering or User Experience Design
About Business Unit
Your Life @ IBM
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Back to top