Enterprise Operations Center Technician
IBM Global Business Services (GBS) is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants enabling enterprises to make smarter decisions and providing unparalleled client and consumer experiences in cognitive, data analytics, cloud technology and mobile app development. With global reach, outcome-focused methodologies and deep industry expertise, IBM GBS empowers clients to digitally reinvent their business and get the competitive edge in the cognitive era in over 170 countries.
Bottom line? We outthink ordinary. Discover what you can do at IBM.
As a member of the Federal Infrastructure Managed Services (FIMS) program, the Enterprise Operations Center (EOC) Technician will support projects and customers within the IBM FIMS program. This position focuses on monitoring the enterprise IT infrastructure such as:
- Cloud and Physical Servers running various OS types (i.e. Windows, Linux)
- VMWare environment and associated tools
- SAN, NAS and associated storage hardware
- Backup hardware and software
- Network Switches (Cisco, Arista, NSX)
- Network Load Balancers (A10)
- Firewalls (CheckPoint)
The position will require day-to-day monitoring of the operation of the enterprise IT solutions as well as performing initial validation and troubleshooting, following Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)s and Run Books. The EOC is also responsible for following the Incident Management process which includes acknowledging alerts/alarms within defined server level targets as well as communicating outages and updates during incident remediation.
Responsibilities will be to monitor and maintain all aspects of the solution, to include on-going documentation, maintenance and continuing optimization of the procedures to provide robust operations oversight while communicating status updates. This is a 24x7x365 position requiring rotating shift support as well as a US Secret Clearance or the the ability to obtain one.
Work location: Raleigh, NC
Health Insurance. Paid time off. Corporate Holidays. Sick leave. Family planning. Financial Guidance. Competitive 401K. Training and Learning. We continue to expand our benefits and programs, offering some of the best support, guidance and coverage for a diverse employee population.
Our goal is to be essential to the world, which starts with our people. Company wide we kicked off an internal talent strategy program called Go Organic. At our core, we are committed to believing and investing in our workforce through:
- Skill development: helping our employees grow their foundational skills
- Finding the dream job at IBM: navigating our company with the potential for many careers by channeling an employee's strengths and career aspirations
- Diversity of people: Diversity of thought driving collective innovation
In 2015, Go Organic filled approximately 50% of our open positions with internal talent that were promoted into the role.
With an employee population of 375,000 in over 170 countries, amazingly we connect, collaborate, and care. IBMers drive a corporate culture of shared responsibility. We love grand challenges and everyday improvements for our company and for the world. We care about each other, our clients, and the communities we live, work, and play in!
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience in monitoring and troubleshooting Information Technology systems in a Data Center - 1 year
- Ability to communicate (both orally and written) effectively to various audiences
- Ability to follow documented Standard Operating Procedures
- Ability to follow documented Incident Management Process
- Ability to work within a ticketing systems, updating and creating tickets
- Excellent teamwork skills
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Secret clearance - (Must be able to obtain within 180 days)
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
Any one or more of the following skills:
- ITIL Experience - Incident, Problem and Configuration Management - 1 year
- Experience administering networks and/or firewalls - 1 year
- Experience troubleshooting storage or backup issues in a large environment - 1 year
- Experience troubleshooting SAN or NAS issues in a large environment - 1 year
- Experience troubleshooting VMWare issues in a large environment - 1 year
- Experience working in an enterprise cloud operations environment - 1 year
- Ability to create formal documentation for systems administration, operations, and maintenance
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Meet Some of IBM's Employees
Leadership Development Solutions Leader
Peter works with a variety of teams within IBM to increase organizational clarity, equip leaders to serve well, and provide opportunities for employees to continually grow and expand their skills.
Back to top