DB2/Oracle Database Administrator
IBM and its clients are ushering in a new cognitive era. IBM Watson IoT extends the power of cognitive computing to the billions of connected devices, sensors and systems that comprise the IoT. Why? Because IoT is testing the limits of programmable computing, and Cognitive IoT is how we will overcome those limits. It is how we will accomplish the transformational outcomes we know are both possible and necessary-from operational efficiency to customer experience to industry disruption.
Join a team that is in the center of innovation and the IBM Cloud/Saas strategy. This team offers career growth, customer and team interaction and new challenges to implement operation innovation in Cloud Delivery.
The Database Administrator is responsible for the deployment, installation, ongoing maintenance and troubleshooting of databases related to the Maximo, SCCD and TRIRIGA products. Primarily looking for a DB2 DBA however fully qualified Oracle DBAs are also encouraged apply.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Installation of database middleware software
- Configuration of database software for Maximo and TRIRIGA
- Trouble shoot issues with application database
- Create scripts as required to help manage client instances
- Determine appropriate configuration of hardware for the database
- Determine appropriate configuration of database settings for the size and workload of the database required
- Perform environment DB2 Backflows/Refreshes, exports and imports.
- Database provisioning and deployment of customer application changes (create tables, schemas, tablespaces, buffer pools, indexes, sequences etc.).
- Implement security and auditing on databases. Database/Table access and permission
- Database server(s) health check, monitoring, database performance capture, trending, tuning and improvement. Project growth and expansion requirements, and plan to ensure that long term requirements are met
- Ensure all databases are ITCS-104, ISO, and SOC compliant as well as adhering to the associated standards
- Knowledge of IBM Data Server Manager and Oracle Enterprise Manager an asset.
- Resolving performance issues using DB2 snapshots, event monitors, db2top, stats pack, AWR, tk prof etc.
- Applying security patches.
- Working with services team to develop solutions for customers.
- Maintain and ensure all replicated databases are in good standing.
- Build and monitor HADR, IBM Infosphere CDC replication.
- Oracle Dataguard, Streams knowledge an asset.
Equipment and Applications
- PC's, handheld devices, MS Project, MS Excel, MS Word, MS Access, e-mail and other software applications as required.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
General office environment, evening and weekend work required. Will be part of a 24 x 7 on-call rotation - expected to cover 1 every 4 - 6 weeks depending on team composition.
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria) on a work permit, you are not eligible for employment in this position.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- The candidate will possess a bachelor's degree or diploma in engineering, or computer science, or equivalent experience.
- This role typically requires five or more years of experience in database technologies.
- Primarily DB2 DBA with some Oracle skills are preferred although experience with MS-SQL also an asset.
- Deep domain experience with Linux required, and knowledge of AIX, and / or Windows operating systems optional.
- Shell scripting experience required. Experience in an operational setting, supporting systems 24 x 7 an asset and a requirement.
- The candidate will possess excellent communication, presentation, organization and planning skills. As well, excellent interpersonal skills to work as a team member and as a liaison with customers are required.
- Experience with DB2, Oracle, Maximo, TRIRIGA, Smart Cloud Control Desk, JAVA all assets.
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- IBM Certified Database Administrator is preferred
- Oracle certifications an asset
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Meet Some of IBM's Employees
Leadership Development Solutions Leader
Peter works with a variety of teams within IBM to increase organizational clarity, equip leaders to serve well, and provide opportunities for employees to continually grow and expand their skills.
Back to top