Data Scientist (Machine Learning Engineer)
We are in a data science renaissance.
Companies that embrace data science will lead and those who do not will fall behind.
To help IBM's clients lead, we are building an elite team of data science practitioners to help them learn how to succeed with data science. The team will include data engineers, machine learning engineers, operations research / optimization engineers and data journalists.
The team will engage directly in solving real-world data science problems in a wide array of industries around the globe with IBM clients and internally to IBM. The elite team of data scientist will work with other IBMers and client data science teams to solve problems in banking, insurance, health care, manufacturing, oil & gas and automotive industries, to name a few. We will teach the data scientists and sometimes people who desire to be data scientist to:
- Identify a use case
- Break that use case down into discrete MVPs (minimal viable product)
- Work in code notebooks
- Build & validate models
- Deploy models via APIs into applications or workflows
- Monitor & retrain models
- Use code repositories to version and share code/notebooks
- Visualize the output of their data story in a way that is consumable by all
- Create Machine Learning pipelines and train models
- Build visual scenario comparison prototypes for "before" vs "after" KPI comparison, specifically for optimization-based decision-making applications.
- Communicate effectively with line-of-business end-users to discover pain points and use cases, lead project definitions and convey the business value of the project .
Required Professional and Technical Expertise:
- At least 3 years experience - in least one of the following: Python, R, Scala or Java. preference for Python
- At least 2 years experience - ability to consume and deploy data via APIs
- At least 2 years experience - applying supervised, unsupervised and semi-supervised learning techniques
- At least 2 years experience - Probabilities and Statistics
- At least 2 years experience - with Machine Learning pipelines - data ingestion, feature engineering, modeling including ensemble methods, predicting, explaining, deploying and diagnosing over fitting
- At least 2 years experience - in model selection and sampling
Preferred Professional and Technical Expertise:
- At least 4 years experience - programming skills in Python
- At least 1 year experience - deep learning and neural nets
While working across all these industries, you will also get to travel the World as these engagements will require that the team spend several weeks at client sites working on data science problems with a diverse team.
As a member of the team you will have a T-shaped skill set, having a broad knowledge base in Data Science and Industry Solutions in general, but also in- depth expertise in Operations Research / Decision Optimization.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Please refer to job description.
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Please refer to job description.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Meet Some of IBM's Employees
Peter M.Leadership Development Solutions Leader
Peter works with a variety of teams within IBM to increase organizational clarity, equip leaders to serve well, and provide opportunities for employees to continually grow and expand their skills.
Back to top