Data Engineer – Big Data - Melbourne
Your Role and Responsibilities
Data Engineer - Big Data - Melbourne
IBM Global Business Services (GBS) is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants enabling enterprises to make smarter decisions and providing unparalleled client and consumer experiences in cognitive, data analytics, cloud technology and mobile app development.
With global reach, outcome-focused methodologies and deep industry expertise, IBM GBS empowers clients to digitally reinvent their business and get the competitive edge in the cognitive era in over 170 countries.
We are looking for a Big Data Engineer to join our growing team of data and analytics experts in the data Platform Services Practice.
The role requires expanding and optimising client's data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimising data flows and collection for cross functional teams.
If you are an experienced data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys optimising data systems and building them from the ground up. Read on.....
What will I Be Doing?
- I will support our software developers, database architects, data analysts and data scientists on client projects and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects.
- I will be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products.
- I will be excited by the prospect of optimising or re-designing our clients' data architecture to support the next generation of products and data initiatives.
What Will My Responsibilities Be?
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture,
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimising data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using 'big data' technologies.
- Build analytics tools that utilise the data pipeline to provide actionable insights to meet client key business performance metrics. [MM1]
- Work with IBM and client stakeholders including the Project Managers, Product, Data and Design teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Develop applications on Big Data and Cognitive technologies including API development
- Traditional Application Development background along with knowledge of Analytics libraries, open-source Natural Language Processing, statistical and big data computing libraries.
- Strong technical abilities to understand, design, write and debug complex code.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience building and optimising 'big data' data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured [MM2] datasets.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable 'big data' data stores.
- Strong project management [MM3] and organizational skills.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- Will have 4+ years of experience in a Data Engineer role.
- Skills include Python, Spark, Kafka, Hadoop, NoSQL, HBase, HIVE, PIG, C++, SQL, Linux, Java, EAI, SOA, CEP, HDFS, ETL
- Ability to travel extensively, at short notices and perhaps extended time periods
- Must have self-drive to lead initiatives and multitask
- Permanent residency to live and work in Australia
To be part of a diverse and global team of thinkers and leaders - people who want to make an impact, share their expertise and collaborate with some of the world's top business and technology professionals. Keep reading.
Sign Me Up!
If you tick these boxes and are ready to start your next challenge with a career at IBM - click "Apply" today. To find out more, head to www.ibm.com.au/careers
Required Professional and Technical Expertise
Preferred Professional and Technical Expertise
About Business Unit
Your Life @ IBM
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Back to top