Back End Developer
- Dublin, Ireland
The IBM Cloud Platform team is looking for motivated software developers to join our growing mission to support applications running in our public cloud. IBM Cloud Security Services is a growing, agile, dynamic organisation building and operating leading-edge, highly available, and distributed cloud services in IBM Cloud. This technical role is focused on designing, developing and deploying cloud services, automating wide ranges of tasks, problem-solving, interfacing with other teams, offering managers, and customers to solve complex problems. Based at IBM's Dublin Technology Campus, you will become an integral part of the team, play a major technical role contributing to the cloud services architecture and design, and help us enable the next generation of cloud engineers. You will be part of a strong, agile, and modern team culture driven to create world-class development and deployment environments, delivering an industry leading user experience for our customers. The IBM Cloud Platform combines platform as a service (PaaS) with infrastructure as a service (IaaS) to provide an integrated experience to the user. The platform scales and supports both small development teams and organisations, and large enterprise businesses. The candidate should be familiar with a variety of software engineering concepts, including practices and procedures related to Cloud technologies. Willingness to learn while performing a variety of tasks to ensure the success of the project while working as part of a high-performance team is critical.
Your Role and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will be part of a development team and will take direction from a team lead/architect and work on writing software components of the system. They will provide input to the team leads on how to design and architect the system and participate in general architecture reviews. You will play an integral role in building the next generation of advanced technologies as part of the IBM cloud platform. Your responsibilities will include:
- Be part of a product development team, understanding user needs, and exploring user-centred designs
- Specifying, building, testing, deploying, maintaining, and supporting the teams code
- Leveraging modern tools and techniques to develop clean, efficient, and reusable code
- Identifying and addressing design, development, and delivery performance bottlenecks
- Actively participating in code and design reviews
- Identifying opportunities and acting on improving existing tools, frameworks and DevSecOps workflows
- Documenting and sharing you experience with team members and mentoring others
- Developing highly available, distributed cloud services, with emphasis on security, scalability and user experience using technologies like Java, Node.js, Golang, Cloudant, Redis, Docker, Kubernetes and more
- Coaching, educating, and evangelising back end development best practices
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Familiar with a variety of software engineering concepts, including practices and procedures related to Cloud technologies
- Strong software development skills, with a 2-3 year proven track record in developing quality software solutions
- Experience in software development engineering in a Cloud Environment
- Software Engineering Best Practices (Code reviews, verification points, testing models)
- Containerisation and Instrumentation: Docker & Kubernetes
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Excellent oral and written communication, teamwork, and debugging skills
- Strong communication and analytical skills
- Self-Starter who is a fast learner of technology and willing to experiment to find the best solutions
- Strong software programming and Agile methodology skills
About Business Unit
Digitization is accelerating the ongoing evolution of business, and clouds - public, private, and hybrid - enable companies to extend their existing infrastructure and integrate across systems. IBM Cloud provides the security, control, and visibility that our clients have come to expect. We are working to provide the right tools and environment to combine all of our client's data, no matter where it resides, to respond to changing market dynamics.
IBM Cloud is a multi-billion dollar business that is growing through providing enterprise solutions across Public, Private and Hybrid Cloud, as well as providing multi-Cloud capabilities.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you're looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities - where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust - where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM's greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Back to top