Director of Engineering - Light Industrial Systems
We are looking for a collaborative Director of Engineering to lead our highly-skilled Light Industrial Systems Engineering team at our 100% employee-owned global manufacturing company headquartered in the classic New England town of Hanover, New Hampshire (home to Dartmouth College). As a technologist, you will be responsible for driving technology and infrastructure best practices across the multi-discipline (power, software, mechanical and plasma process) engineering team while providing hands-on leadership and mentorship to a team of engineering leaders.
You will also:
- Lead cross-functional project teams including design engineering, manufacturing engineering, marketing and other support functions in the development of new products that meet design specifications, reliability requirements cost and budget goals, schedule commitments, and other primary project objectives.
- Develop a strong understanding of plasma cutting system architectures, pinpointing problem areas, upholding product quality and driving design with constant engagement with engineers, operations, and product marketing owners.
- Envision and build organizational structure, methods, and processes to scale for growth while working in our highly-matrixed organization.
- Lead the technology strategy development as a key member of our Light Industrial Business management team.
Our ideal candidate will have a B.S. Engineering degree (required) preferably in mechanical or electrical engineering. An MS, MEM or MBA is strongly preferred.
Additional key requirements for success in this position:
- Experience being a “leader of leaders” with well-developed, innovative hands-on leadership and project management skills with a broad business understanding.
- Demonstrated experience in product design and development of world class low kilowatt “packaged products” designed for professional or industrial end-users. (Preferably sold through industrial/retail distribution and OEM channels.)
- Senior level experience in electromechanical product development.
- Experience leading a diverse set of technical teams and managing an engineering lab in support of product and technology improvement and development.
- Proven experience in directing and leading engineers and cross-functional teams at project level utilizing the latest tools and methods such as DFMA, DFT, FMEA and pFMEA as well as design tools for PCB, PCBA, 3D design and modeling and thermal modeling.
- Experience leading development life cycle process and best practices.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills; engaging and inspiring direct reports.
- Outstanding organizational, communication, interpersonal, relationship building skills conducive to team development.
- Ability to partner and to collaborate with people at all levels – individual engineers, managers, and executives
- Ability to influence and build buy-in to product/process changes and the investment of resources.
- Willing and able to travel as needed – domestic and international.
Meet Some of Hypertherm's Employees
Staff Engineer, Software – Light Industrial Products
Justin architects the computer processor and embedded software used to operate Hypertherm's mechanized plasma cutting platforms and modern technologies.
Back to top