The Systems Development team builds and maintains the platform of infrastructure and software that is shared by all Systems teams to provision, monitor, and manage our servers and networks. As a systems software engineer, your main focus will be on tool development in Python. You’ll be improving and integrating our existing tools and libraries across the platform as well as designing and building new ones to make our trading, research, installation, and monitoring systems easier to manage and more reliable. Strong Python skills and development experience are required, along with general Unix experience.
As a member of our team, you’ll get the unique opportunity to have a significant impact on a critical part of our existing and growing infrastructure. In this role, your responsibilities will vary, but a typical day in the life might look like:
- Building and maintaining tools and software features to automate systems engineering workflows around things like machine provisioning, monitoring, metrics collection, maintenance, network configuration, and more
- Troubleshooting software bugs on a fleet of Linux machines, from application issues to network issues to operating system or kernel issues
- Building and maintaining CI/CD pipelines for code testing and deployment
- Writing configuration management code to build, deploy, and maintain new services
- Helping set the general direction for the Systems Python platform
- BS and/or MS in Computer Science or a related field
- 1-5 years of relevant experience, including programming in Python
- You love automation - why do the same task twice manually?
- You’re a team player but also work well independently
- You’re a seasoned multitasker, skilled at juggling multiple tasks, while retaining a high level of attention to detail
- You’re familiar with and have interest in working with open-source software
- Strong Python programming
- Ability to debug and analyze problems quickly
- Ability to learn at a fast pace and apply new skills effectively
- Strong grasp of computer science fundamentals and software design patterns
- Solid understanding of Linux/UNIX operating systems
- Understanding of Debian operating system
- Familiarity with systems configuration management and monitoring technologies
- Familiarity with continuous integration and continuous deployment tools and processes
- Understanding of networking protocols
Hudson River Trading (HRT) brings a scientific approach to trading financial products. We have built one of the world's most sophisticated computing environments for research and development. Our researchers are at the forefront of innovation in the world of algorithmic trading.
At HRT we welcome a variety of expertise: mathematics and computer science, physics and engineering, media and tech. We’re a community of self-starters who are motivated by the excitement of being at the cutting edge of automation in every part of our organization—from trading, to business operations, to recruiting and beyond. We value openness and transparency, and celebrate great ideas from HRT veterans and new hires alike. At HRT we’re friends and colleagues – whether we are sharing a meal, playing the latest board game, or writing elegant code. We embrace a culture of togetherness that extends far beyond the walls of our office.
Feel like you belong at HRT? Our goal is to find the best people and bring them together to do great work in a place where everyone is valued. HRT is proud of our diverse staff; we have offices all over the globe and benefit from our varied and unique perspectives. HRT is an equal opportunity employer; so whoever you are we’d love to get to know you.