Hudson River Trading (HRT) is looking for Systems Engineers to join our growing Systems team. This team builds and maintains an exceptionally large and growing distributed compute cluster, a petabyte-scale storage layer, trading infrastructure hyper-optimized for low-latency, operating systems, automation software, and development tools that allow our research and trading strategies to run worldwide 24/7. Much of our hardware layer and operating system layer reflect the state-of-the-art at any given time.
As a full-time Systems Engineer, you’ll work on projects that impact our live trading and research. A typical day could include scaling and keeping our HPC environment running smoothly or designing and building services to improve HRT’s research environment, but responsibilities are broad! Your day could also consist of hardware and software installation and configuration, remote administration, monitoring, new hardware and software testing, automation and tool development, and performance tuning. As you can see there’s a lot to work on and we’re looking to greatly expand our growing team by hiring multiple engineers!
- Expertise in installation, configuration, and troubleshooting of Linux systems
- Comfortable using Linux/UNIX command line tools
- Experience with configuration management tools
- Python or Shell scripting experience
- Attention to detail needed to manage and debug production services
- Strong communication and organization
- Ability to context switch to work on several projects at once
- Experience and knowledge of Debian/Ubuntu is a plus
- Plan/execute technical projects to make our Linux trading systems (hardware, network, OS, etc) faster, adaptable, and more maintainable
- Manage and optimize large scale distributed compute/HPC clusters
- Automate/troubleshoot a broad range of technical infrastructure
- Troubleshoot hardware and software issues
- Operating system installation and upgrading
- Performance testing and tuning
- Scripting to automate repetitive tasks
- Working with vendors to resolve issues
- You enjoy tinkering with technology in your spare time
- Ability to manage time efficiently
- Can work independently and as a team player
- Exceptional communication skills - this role will require cross-collaboration with various stakeholders across HRT
- You are resourceful, have a sense of urgency, and are motivated to make things better and to always be learning. You don’t only want to just get the job done, you always want to deliver the highest quality work.
- 2 - 10 years of relevant experience. We’re looking for a wide range of experience levels.
Hudson River Trading (HRT) brings a scientific approach to trading financial products. We have built one of the world's most sophisticated computing environments for research and development. Our researchers are at the forefront of innovation in the world of algorithmic trading.
At HRT we welcome a variety of expertise: mathematics and computer science, physics and engineering, media and tech. We’re a community of self-starters who are motivated by the excitement of being at the cutting edge of automation in every part of our organization—from trading, to business operations, to recruiting and beyond. We value openness and transparency, and celebrate great ideas from HRT veterans and new hires alike. At HRT we’re friends and colleagues – whether we are sharing a meal, playing the latest board game, or writing elegant code. We embrace a culture of togetherness that extends far beyond the walls of our office.
Feel like you belong at HRT? Our goal is to find the best people and bring them together to do great work in a place where everyone is valued. HRT is proud of our diverse staff; we have offices all over the globe and benefit from our varied and unique perspectives. HRT is an equal opportunity employer; so whoever you are we’d love to get to know you.