The Network team at Hudson River Trading designs, builds and maintains all of the infrastructure that allows our global trading and research environment to run 24/7. We’re looking for a Network Engineer to focus on our high performance, electronic trading environment within Asian Pacific Markets. This environment is distributed across numerous global colocation facilities and encompasses a variety of focused networking technologies, including low latency switching, multicast, DWDM, microwave, packet brokers, etc.
We are looking for a network engineer with experience deploying and maintaining large networks and managing the full WAN optimization lifecycle. You will help drive our WAN strategy, manage vendor relationships, on-board new markets, and much more.
This position requires both project management and deep technical skills; you’ll work on everything from negotiations to routing configuration and troubleshooting. You will collaborate with our systems and operations teams as well as others at HRT to build, manage, and monitor our low latency trading network. You’ll have broad responsibilities and freedom to analyze and solve problems, and your solutions will have an immediate impact on our operations worldwide.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills on wide variety of networking issues, including common Ethernet LAN problems, office Wi-Fi, multicast market data distribution, and global WAN
- Monitor performance and proactively avoid bottlenecks by upgrading or optimizing relevant designs/components
- Able to help others inside and outside HRT; understand complex symptoms and debug effectively in tight timeframes
- In-depth understanding of common layer 2 and layer 3 network protocols and best practices; working knowledge of OSPF, BGP, PIM, IGMP
- Experience managing Arista, Cisco, and other common networking devices on a day-to-day basis
- Good knowledge and familiarity with APAC Regional exchanges and markets.
- Experience with packet decoding and analysis tools such as tcpdump and Wireshark
- Knowledge of fiber optics technology and cabling standards; ability to sort through specs and make recommendations on appropriate purchases
- Experience with Unix/Linux command line and networking stack
- Familiarity with firewalls, VPNs and NAT
- Excellent oral and written communication skills – able to distill complicated issues into clear and concise terms
- Able to create and maintain clear and effective technical documentation
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering, or related IT field
- 8+ years of relevant networking experience
- 3+ years of experience supporting electronic trading environments (APAC regional knowledge preferred)
- Extensive experience with exchanges’ colocation design and low latency connectivity
- Good knowledge of how each exchange operates and how to have the best optimal setup for low latency trading
- Understanding and experience with layer 2 switching for low latency applications and layer 3 routing protocols
- Experience working with FPGA hardware is a plus
- Strong learning capability and ability to adapt and apply new things quickly
- You enjoy tinkering with technology in your spare time and always looking to make improvements
- You have excellent communication skills and a willingness to admit mistakes
Hudson River Trading (HRT) brings a scientific approach to trading financial products. We have built one of the world's most sophisticated computing environments for research and development. Our researchers are at the forefront of innovation in the world of algorithmic trading.
At HRT we come from a variety of disciplines: mathematics and computer science, physics, and engineering, media and tech. We’re a community of self-starters who are motivated by the excitement of being at the cutting edge of automation in every part of our organization - from trading, to business operations, to recruiting and beyond. Our culture celebrates great ideas whether they come from HRT veterans or new hires. At HRT we’re friends and colleagues – whether we are sharing a meal, playing the latest board game, or writing elegant code. We embrace a culture of togetherness that extends far beyond the walls of our office.
Feel like you belong at HRT? Our goal is to find the best people and bring them together to do great work in a place where everyone is valued. HRT is proud of our diverse staff; we have offices all over the globe and benefit from our varied and unique perspectives. HRT is an equal opportunity employer; so whoever you are we’d love to get to know you.