Head of Risk Management
- New York, NY
HRT is an established, automated trading firm of 18 years that seeks to add a Head of Risk Management to its team. HRT’s experience is primarily with high-frequency trading, where operational issues must be identified and addressed before they quickly compound, portfolios are typically unhedged but liquid, and pre-trade computational cycles are not wasted lightly. Principally, risk management is done via automated pre-trade tests against preset limits. More recently, HRT has started down a path to expand the scope of its trading beyond its high-frequency origins. The firm has a current and future need to develop a more sophisticated pre-trade and post-trade risk management framework for this increased scope.
The Head of Risk Management will be responsible for HRT’s risk management framework across market risk, operational risk, liquidity risk, counter-party risk, and credit risk. The Head of Risk Management will review and update HRT’s risk systems across these disciplines in order to protect the firm and to ensure proper levels of risk exposure. The role includes leading the design and development of a multi-asset class, global portfolio risk management system. The right candidate will have expertise in trading and risk management techniques and an understanding of automated, systematic trading. You will collaborate with HRT’s senior leadership and trading teams in order to manage the firm's risk appetite and appropriately allocate capital.
- Identify key risks for the firm to monitor and manage in a manner that is appropriate for the trading strategies currently deployed and in the pipeline.
- Work with appropriate teams to understand risk constraints (regulatory limits, broker limits, financial constraints), with trading leads to understand their individual risk appetites, and with senior management to set appropriate limits.
- Design and implement risk monitoring, reporting, and exploration systems for multi-asset class, global portfolios.
- Establish a framework that allows the firm to efficiently evaluate new trading opportunities.
- Work with senior leadership on potential new asset classes, geographies, and trading strategies in order to ensure that risk attributes are considered in the decision-making process.
- Work with software development team to enhance the firm’s pre-trade and real-time, post-trade risk systems.
- Develop the framework for monitoring liquidity risk, counterparty risk, and credit risk.
- Determine hiring needs and recruit additional team members.
- Responsible for risk control.
- Bachelor’s degree in any of: computer science, math, statistics, physics, or other engineering fields, advanced degree a plus.
- Five or more years relevant experience in a risk management, portfolio construction, or quantitative trading position.
- Experience with programming languages and data analysis tools, such as Python, C++, R, etc.
- Familiar with risk profile of equities, ETFs, options, futures, currencies, rates, credit.
- Experience with prime broker portfolio risk models, factor/sector risk analysis and VaR.
- Able to lead a team and to collaborate across the organization to effect change.
- Strong communication skills, including ability to clearly and effectively direct quantitative researchers and software developers, and communicate with traders and senior management.
- Able to think creatively to solve complex problems. Comfortable operating in a fluid and lightly-specified problem space.
- Able to think and work independently or as part of a team.
- Able to quickly learn about existing tools and processes, propose improvements, and deliver results.
- Exceptional attention to detail and desire to understand issues deeply.
- Outstanding work ethic and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
Hudson River Trading (HRT) brings a scientific approach to trading financial products. We have built one of the world's most sophisticated computing environments for research and development. Our researchers are at the forefront of innovation in the world of algorithmic trading.
At HRT we come from all sorts of backgrounds: mathematics, computer science, statistics, physics, and engineering. We’re a community of self-starters who are motivated by the excitement of being at the cutting edge of automated trading. Our culture celebrates great ideas whether they come from HRT veterans or new hires. At HRT we’re friends and colleagues, whether we are sharing a meal, playing the latest board game, or writing elegant code. We embrace a culture of togetherness that extends far beyond the walls of our office.
Seem like something you might be interested in? Our goal is to find the best people and bring them together to do great work in a place where everyone is valued. HRT is proud of our diverse staff; we have offices all over the globe and benefit from our varied and unique perspectives. HRT is an equal opportunity employer; so whoever you are we’d love to get to know you.
Back to top