Working closely with their counterparts in New York and Singapore, the Head of South Korea Business Operations will contribute to strategic decision making and planning for Hudson River Trading in South Korea. This role will oversee a wide range of functions, which include but are not limited to expanding into new markets, interpreting and implementing regulatory policies, and acting as the primary point of contact for all HRT’s relationships with exchanges, brokers, and trading counterparties.
The ideal candidate will be fluent in Korean and have experience servicing or trading products such as Korean NDFs, swaps, CFDs, Fixed Income or digital currencies in Korea. The candidate will have relationships with the significant brokers and dealers in these markets.
The Head of South Korean Business Operations must be a formidable leader and excellent communicator with demonstrated and proven success at leading, inspiring and motivating a multi-functional and growing team.
- Act as primary point of contact for South Korean exchanges, brokers, and trading counter-parties, related to products such as Equities, Futures and Options, Swaps, CFDs, NDF’s and digital currencies. Manage both the strategic relationships as well as day-to-day business operations. Ensure that HRT’s trading group understands market operations and commercial terms.
- Manage market changes and upgrades. Effectively communicate these changes across internal teams at HRT.
- Research and manage HRT’s expansion into new markets such as bank liquidity pools, direct to customer trading systems or more exotic financial products.
- Research opportunities to make HRT’s trading more efficient.
- Regulatory policy: represent HRT in various policy and rule-making processes.
- Regulatory changes: track relevant regulatory changes and work with compliance and other HRT groups to ensure that HRT’s systems are updated to reflect any changes and that appropriate controls and monitoring are in place.
Qualifications & Experience
The Head of South Korea Business Operations will possess exceptional leadership qualities and management skills. Candidates will have a minimum of ten years of total work experience working across trading and finance. A university degree is required. Technical skills are highly preferred; the ideal candidate must want to continue developing those technical skills. The candidate must be fluent in both Korean and English.
- Ability to work with software engineers to implement and automate processes.
- The individual will be hands-on with a strong work ethic, very detail-oriented, and must stay active and involved in all aspects of their responsibilities. Ability to conceptualize and articulate their vision and lead others.
- Proven aptitude to manage and deliver on a wide array of projects from start to completion in a reliable and accurate time frame.
- Ability to prioritize tasks while maintaining flexibility and being able to adapt within a rapidly transforming, fast-paced firm.
- Success in building, developing, owning and managing a growing financial organization.
- Top notch team building, developing and mentoring skills.
- Proven ability to work both independently as well as in team environments and at all levels of the company.
- Minimum 8 years experience at Broker Dealer, Securities Exchange or Proprietary Trading Firm or trading-related field.
The successful candidate will be driven by the desire to help the firm succeed as a whole. They will be a self-starter, and have strong interpersonal and communication skills. Specific personal characteristics include:
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills.
- Hands-on, “sleeves rolled up”, resourceful, results-oriented, proactive and responsive.
- The patience and communication ability to establish instant credibility and relate effectively with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Innate curiosity and openness to new ideas/approaches. The ideal candidate will constantly strive for self-improvement and will be committed to the pursuit of excellence.
- Highly analytical. Able to rapidly and accurately distill complex information and communicate the information through a concise and readily understandable message.
- Forward thinking, with excellent conceptual skills. Able to distill varying trends and information, see the big picture, and articulate a message for future direction.
- Unquestionable ethics, integrity and judgment and commitment to excellence
- Executive presence with the ability to articulate a vision, establish a clear sense of direction and create accountability
- A highly motivated, driven, modest, low-ego professional with a strong personal and professional ethic and a sense of urgency.
Hudson River Trading (HRT) brings a scientific approach to trading financial products. We have built one of the world's most sophisticated computing environments for research and development. Our researchers are at the forefront of innovation in the world of algorithmic trading.
At HRT we come from a variety of disciplines: mathematics and computer science, physics, and engineering, media and tech. We’re a community of self-starters who are motivated by the excitement of being at the cutting edge of automation in every part of our organization - from trading, to business operations, to recruiting and beyond. Our culture celebrates great ideas whether they come from HRT veterans or new hires. At HRT we’re friends and colleagues – whether we are sharing a meal, playing the latest board game, or writing elegant code. We embrace a culture of togetherness that extends far beyond the walls of our office.
Feel like you belong at HRT? Our goal is to find the best people and bring them together to do great work in a place where everyone is valued. HRT is proud of our diverse staff; we have offices all over the globe and benefit from our varied and unique perspectives. HRT is an equal opportunity employer; so whoever you are we’d love to get to know you.