Core Developer (Python)
Working as a coder at Hudson River Trading (HRT) means working on a small, highly productive and efficient team. We know you see "Trading" in our name and assume you'll be relegated to some dark corner to code for the "business" but this impression is entirely wrong. At HRT, a fully automated trading firm based in NYC, with offices in Austin, London, and Singapore, the code you write *is* our business, so it is everyone's job, top to bottom, to make sure our core dev team has everything they need to do their jobs well.
We are looking for smart programmers who love to code, like being challenged, hate to climb corporate ladders, and don't mind the added bonus of having hard work rewarded through recognition and extremely competitive compensation. At HRT, coders are integral to the success of our trading, and they know it. You can always expect to be challenged by the ever-changing financial markets, and find yourself working on critical software in an extremely fast-paced, real-time environment.
Our Austin office is looking for a Python developer who specifically enjoys making other people more productive and is excited to work with programmers on all teams at HRT. Sure, we understand that you can spout off the complexity of any classical data structure operation in your sleep. We know you are going to regale us with a war story about the last terrible bug caused by an unexpected out of order execution in a multithreaded program (we are not a big fan of threads, either) or how the Python GIL killed your scalability. But in addition to those technical skills we need engineers that live to hear the word “thanks”. As in “thanks, your improvements to our testing framework let me verify my changes will work as intended in 5 minutes instead of 5 hours." Or “thanks, our code coverage reports enabled me to cut out many redundant tests and showed me what targeted ones I should add.” Obviously finding this blend of serious technical skills and personality is not easy, but we are willing to work to find you, the perfect candidate.
As a Core Developer, you will step into an incredible learning opportunity; HRT's distributed system is on the Pareto frontier of latency and throughput. And you will be surrounded by amazing developers who are honing their skills every day. You'll be amazed at what you accomplish.
- Excellent design, debugging and problem solving skills. Solid CS fundamentals.
- 1+ years Python experience
- Familiar with C++ (able to read and edit)
- Knowledge of UNIX operating systems (we use Linux), system/processor performance, and network communication
- Experience with continuous integration and/or regression testing is a plus
- In your spare time you: code, tinker, read, explore, break things, and have an insatiable curiosity for all things computer related... you'll find like-minded people here.
- You possess a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- You are capable of working independently as well as part of a team
- You can analyze and fix problems quickly
- Can look at code, figure out how it works, and how to make it better
- Can describe software designs at a high level (the abstract interface), low level (step-by-step algorithm), or anywhere in between
- You really like to work with people who challenge you and make you better at what you do
Hudson River Trading brings a scientific approach to trading financial products. We have built one of the world's most sophisticated computing environments for research and development. Our researchers are at the forefront of innovation in the world of algorithmic trading.
At HRT we are mathematicians, computer scientists, statisticians, physicists and engineers. We research and develop automated trading algorithms using advanced mathematical techniques. We have a fun and casual office atmosphere, but everyone works diligently to get the job done. We boast a flat management structure as all our people are motivated by the excitement of being at the forefront of the automated trading world. No politics or red tape impede the generation or implementation of ideas.
See Inside the Office of Hudson River Trading
Back to top