Product Designer - Elite Teams
What is Hudl?
Hudl is changing the future of sports technology. We build video analysis and stat tools for teams around the world, at every level of competition. Our software provides over 3.5 million coaches and athletes the insight they need to win.
Designers lead a small, cross-functional team’s design effort. You’ll ship clear, engaging experiences which simultaneously balance our users’ needs, technical constraints, and support our business. To do this, Designers marry great visual design, thoughtful interactions and thorough user research into one package.
After each release, Designers work closely with a Product Manager to study real-world usage to validate assumptions and make improvements over time.
- Are not a recent graduate. Don't be offended, please. We want recent grads some times. Just not now.
- Have shipped product. You have seen some amazing stuff go out the door...and some not so amazing stuff.
- Will lead the design effort for our elite team product. It will be fun and challenging. Our customers are demanding but they respect and admire the work it takes to craft high-quality tools.
- Create clear and friendly user interfaces. You’re the person who’s most responsible for designing the behavior and interactions between the system and the user.
- Have experience designing thick-client desktop applications. Customers in this space use macOS apps to do their heavy-duty video analysis work. You'll also need strong experience working in iOS. If all you have is web-app experience, this might not be the job for you.
- Think at a big and small scale. The best designers at Hudl know when to zoom in or out when solving a problem. Sometimes that means intense focus on the small details and nuances of a product. Other times, it means stepping back to reframe the whole problem.
- Lead user research for your squad. You'll help conduct research across existing and new users in elite markets (e.g. NBA, EPL, NHL, AFL) to determine the path forward for the squad.
- Someone whose strong opinions are loosely held. In other words, you’re a mature designer. You have strong ideas about how the world and product should work but you’re not stubborn or blind to evidence that contradicts your first, second, or tenth approach.
- Passionate about top-level sports. This particular product/project requires a designer who’s aware of the landscape of elite sports, can speak the lingo, and are willing to learn a lot to fill in their personal knowledge gaps. You'd be amazed what it takes to pull off a game day in an AFL coaches' box.
- Capable of pushing back and saying “no” appropriately. Every squad experiences healthy tension and conflict. Our healthiest teams perform flawlessly when every role on a squad is on equal footing. That requires designers to see problems from unique perspectives (e.g. engineering, product, and QA) while simultaneously advocating the crucial emotional qualities behind a design decision.
- Inspired and inspiring. Your teammates will look to you for the vision and direction of a product. At the same time, you appreciate and absorb the great work being done around you—both inside and out of Hudl.
- Considered a generalist, but still have that one thing. Some people call this being “T-shaped.” As a designer, you can craft great visuals, choreograph smooth software behaviors, and conduct an unbiased user interview. You can also hang your hat on your ability to ________, which you’d say is your #1 skill, talent, or ability. What is your one thing?
- Put you in an environment where you can grow. Hudl is nothing if not a worldwide team of people that push themselves to be better. We'll back that up with an annual stipend to travel and attend a professional conference to build your skills.
- Arm you with the tech to get the job done. A new Mac which you get to keep after 2 years.
- Provide you with free tickets to client matches. Our travel and ticket stipend will help you cheer for our clients, right from the stands.
- Give you two free trips to the US each year. And we highly recommend using one of them for our annual company retreat in Las Vegas.
Back to top