About HUB International:
HUB International Limited ("HUB") is the 7th largest global insurance and employee benefits broker, providing a broad array of property, casualty, risk management, life and health, employee benefits, investment and wealth management products and services. With over 10,000 employees in 450 offices throughout North America, HUB has grown substantially, in part due to our industry leading success in Mergers and Acquisitions.
The Workers Compensation Underwriter is an expert level technical underwriting position. The successful candidate is engaged in developing, managing, and growing a profitable, well underwritten and expertly documented book of workers compensation insurance through independent agents and specialty producers. The candidate is integral to all aspects of the business including new sales, successful renewal of existing clients, carrier communication, evaluation of new territories and products. The Underwriter may be involved with soliciting new agents along with the review, analysis, and pricing or rejection of both simple and complex workers compensation insurance policies/applications. Excellent communication (written and verbal), time management, mathematical and analytical skills are requisite for success.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Develop and manage a book of business and agency relationships.
- Generate new sales volumes through existing customers.
- Responsible for the retention of existing clients and maintenance of excellent service standards.
- Expertly review and analyze accounts for proper classification and underwriting guidelines
- Expertly analyze and document accounts using standard industry practices to determine exposure, fit and pricing.
- Listen carefully and comprehensively to customers; interpret comments or questions and respond effectively and professionally
- Conduct internal self-audits.
- Gather information and report on competitors.
- Represent the company professionally at events/shows.
- Provide ongoing management of the business for underwriting quality and service.
- Explain products and services of the company, our insurance carriers and service providers.
- Communicate frequently with production partners.
- Work with all internal departments and our partners to resolve problems and maintain carrier relations.
- Train and mentor Underwriting Assistants.
- Prepare, quote and sell new and renewal offers to our agents/producers.
- Receive and service policy change requests from our agents.
- Emphasize benefits of the Company to producers and co-workers.
- Participate as necessary on special committees and projects.
- Create and maintain periodic management reports.
Experience and Skill Requirements:
- An undergraduate degree or equivalent experience and background including familiarity with rating organizations and insurance regulation.
- 3+ year's insurance experience with at least 1 year of workers compensation underwriting.
- Working knowledge of Manual Rules and Classification procedures
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Excellent sales and Communication demeanor.
- Be a self-starter, creative, and team oriented.
- Demonstrated command of the English Language.
- Ability to organize work; perform with time constraints, and be self-directed.
- Strong mathematical aptitude.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point
- Ability to adapt to significant change (procedures, processes, and techniques).
Meet Some of HUB International's Employees
Business Development Associate
Mike’s in charge of lead distribution and generation within the Program Sector. He focuses on supporting sales agents by helping gather information needed to drive business.
Back to top