Employee Benefits Consultant
GENERAL DESCRIPTION (SUMMARY, SCOPE, PURPOSE)
A Benefits Consultant (BC) interfaces with a group of clients (a book of business) to strategize and propose viable solutions to manage the menu of benefit options that the client offers to its employees. BCs partner with clients and assist them with 1) emerging trends in employee benefits, 2) their annual renewal process, and 3) other possible options that would enhance or meet the goals of the client; the end product of this partnership is intended to add value to the client, enabling the client to be competitive in their own industry. BCs quickly assess the nature of any given problem, understand thoroughly the expectations of the client and consistently meet or exceed those expectations. BC's must contribute to and flourish in a team environment, and engage in regular professional development.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Partners with each client in the book of business. The partnership is demonstrated through:
- Attends regular and pre-planned meetings with the client;
- Understands key business issues facing the client, and brings viable solutions to the client to address those needs;
- Acts intentionally to retain clients and succeeds;
- Masterfully collects, organizes, and reviews relationship information.
- Understands thoroughly (and stays knowledgeable of) employee benefits, including plan designs, available riders, legislation, and emerging trends. Shares this knowledge with others at HUB.
- Strategically plans and executes plan renewals, staying in regular communication with the clients while also updating them on various emerging trends and solutions for their business needs.
- Anticipates concerns developing from the renewal process; proactively manages the process being followed by the service team and immediately addresses and solves problems generated through the renewal process.
- Provides value to our clients through timely and regular presentations of additional options for their benefits package; generates new opportunities and encourages client to be innovative; alerts client to potential issues (legislative and coverage information); serves client as an educator or special speaker on benefit topics to assist employee's being effective as possible.
- Communicates thoroughly and clearly with all team members concerning client issues, renewals, and proactive work.
- Attends training opportunities, reads and shares industry knowledge, regularly participates in coursework to either earn or maintain professional designations.
- Assesses the nature of a problem quickly, understands thoroughly the expectations of the client, and consistently meets those expectations through viable solutions.
The essential duties contained in this job description reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences, equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 3-5 years of experience in benefits including a strong knowledge of self-insured plans, ancillary lines, and current legislation
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (listens, speaks, and writes well); able to interact effectively with people of various responsibility and authority (employees, key contacts, executives, etc.).
- Highly organized.
- Able to manage a multitude of details (including paperwork); stays proactive while managing these issues.
- Possess a natural inclination to reach out, build relationships, and uncover issues before the client calls HUB.
- Very comfortable with typical business technology including voice mail, e-mail, word processing, spreadsheets, and presentation software.
An earned bachelor's degree (or its equivalent)
LICENSING OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Earned NC Life, Accident and Sickness license.
- Professional designations (RHU, REBC, CEBS) preferred.
The physical and environmental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
To perform this job successfully, the incumbent must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. These qualifications are considered without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, disability, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, and local law. If this position requires licensing or certification, the incumbent must maintain that license or certification by meeting all continuing education and other requirements.
Location: United States, South Carolina, Charleston
Required Education: Bachelor's degree (4-year degree)
Required Experience: 2-5 years
Required Travel: Negligible
Date published: 1-Jun-2018
Department: Account Management & Service
HUB International Limited is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race/ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran's status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations. The EEO is the Law poster and its supplement is available here at http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm .
We endeavor to make this website accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact the US Recruiting Team toll-free at (844) 300-9193 or USRecruiting@hubinternational.com . This contact information is for accommodation requests only; do not use this contact information to inquire about the status of applications.
Back to top