Commercial Underwriter, Property and Casualty
Totten Insurance Group is growing and we are looking for a dynamic Underwriter, Property and Casualty for our Totten Toronto Office. We are looking for someone that can work under limited direction, underwrites new and renewal business within designated authority levels. This person will be primarily responsible for handling our growing Roofing Program along with seeking out other property and casualty opportunities. This is an ideal role for a strong technical underwriter with construction, production and Lloyds experience and strong broker networks.
Choose a career with Totten Insurance Group and take the first step toward creating a future that combines a diverse, challenging work environment with financial security and satisfaction. By joining Totten Insurance Group, you will become part of rapidly growing company that offers significant opportunity for advancement and growth. Totten Insurance Group is a company where your contributions will make a difference.
Broker & Market Management
- Provides exceptional service to our broker partners and acts as a solution provider (i.e. acts as the key contact to our customers).
- Participates in production trips and broker visitations, and corporate functions as required. Managing relationships with brokers and acting as a dedicated resource as needed and required.
- Effectively negotiates terms and conditions with brokers and markets for values upwards of CAD$1,500,000
- Analyzes new business and renewals for risk profitability in the commercial property industry by assessing exposures and hazards as determined by a review of the underwriting data, and according to underwriting guidelines, contract authority limits and company standards.
- Maintains knowledge of company Underwriting policies, philosophy, procedures and standards and understand and execute segment strategies to produce budgeted results.
- Monitors and assesses competitive factors in the market and keep informed of changing market conditions to report to management.
- Maintains a high service level to brokers and responding to brokers inquiries on a timely basis.
- Proactively involved in the learning and development of underwriting skills, including coverages, wordings, exposures, pricing and factors that affect Property and Casualty.
- Delivers underwriting profit, organic growth, and target revenue budgets.
- Analyzes new business and renewals for risk profitability by assessing exposures and hazards as determined by a review of the underwriting data, and according to underwriting guidelines, contract authority limits and company standards.
- Maintains the long-term profitability of a portfolio of accounts regardless of market conditions within the bounds on internal underwriting guidelines and individual underwriting authority. This includes the ability to successfully negotiate terms, conditions and pricing to achieve new business, renewal and profitability targets.
- Develops a strong understanding of the various solutions that can be offered through our network of markets and Lloyd's relationships
Qualifications and Experience:
- Certificate in Insurance
- Over 8 years of practical experience in insurance field, including minimum of 5 years of commercial underwriting experience for values over CAD$1,500,000 (construction preferred)
- Understanding and experience (1-3 years) in the Lloyds and London Insurance Market experience
- From 2 to 3 years of prior Roofing Underwriting experience
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in risk selection particularly in the field of commercial property
- Previous experience analyzing new business for commercial property industry and renewals for risk profitability according to underwriting guidelines for this industry,
- Proficient in MS Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- 5 years of experience with TAM or Epic broker management systems
- Strong decision making skills and ability to bring creativity to underwriting risks
- Practical experience providing strategic planning advice and guidance to clients and insurers in the industry for insurable values of over CAD$1,000,000
- Strong communication skills: Written and verbal including presentations
- Strong time management skills, goal oriented, and self-directed
- Required to travel 25% for Broker visits and meetings
- Entrepreneurship - encouraging innovation and educate risk taking
- Balance - balancing corporate duty with personal growth
- Integrity – doing things right every time
- Teamwork – working together to maximize results
- Discipline - focused on goals
- Accountability – measure and take responsibility for outcomes
- Service - serving customers, communities, and colleagues
Totten Insurance Group is Canada's leading national MGA provider of niche products and innovative solutions. Providing a diversified suite of customized insurance products and programs, Totten Group is committed to delivering best in class insurance solutions that are not readily available in the marketplace. Totten Group supports over 2,000 independent brokers throughout Canada and is comprised of five divisions including Commercial Casualty, Commercial Property, Hospitality, Personal Lines and Professional Liability. For a complete list of office locations and more information, please visit: www.tottengroup.com
Meet Some of HUB International's Employees
Kristin oversees the employee wellness program, HUB Healthy Habits, by supporting the company’s dispersed offices. She also works with each Wellness Coordinator to tailor programs to different teams.
Back to top