Cloud Engineering, Manager
HUB International Limited ("HUB") is the 7th largest global insurance and employee benefits broker, providing a broad array of property, casualty, risk management, life and health, employee benefits, investment and wealth management products and services. With over 10,000 employees in 450 offices throughout North America, HUB has grown substantially, in part due to our industry leading success in Mergers and Acquisitions. The company is headquartered in Chicago and is currently owned by Hellman & Friedman.
About the Position:
The Manager, Cloud Engineering will oversee a team of engineers responsible for HUB's adoption, transition, and execution of HUB's all-cloud strategy for its business applications, infrastructure, and platforms. Reporting into the Vice President of Architecture and Engineering, this role will oversee a team of approximately six engineers who are responsible for engineering new solutions for the HUB environment, its merger and acquisition activities, and supporting the all-cloud initiative. In addition, the leader will be a key team member that will drive the cultural, technology, and delivery transformation of the IT organization.
- Oversee the design, development and implementation of high quality cloud, platform, and infrastructure solutions that support HUB's business strategy and drive significant value for HUB. Ensure these solutions deliver the scope of capability defined within the timeframes and budget established at project commencement
- Working with the VP, Architecture and Engineering, deliver solutions that support our technology architectural principles and roadmap
- Provide managerial and engineering oversight across a variety of technologies and across multiple cloud providers
- Ensure the cloud environments are engineered to high quality standards that not only meet business needs and continuity, but are designed to adapt and scale in the long-term
- Effectively manage external parties, from individual contractors to consulting organizations and service providers
- Recruit, coach and mentor a world-class, cloud engineering team. Provide clear direction, encourage professional development, and motivate the team to achieve success. Reinforce the cultural principles of HUB and set the leadership tone for the team
- During the transition to cloud, oversee continuous improvement of existing on-premise environments and processes
- Identify and execute opportunities for automation, scale, and business self-service
- Assist in forming the HUB IT brand by building a team and solutions that establish HUB IT as a career destination in the industry
- Continuously improve infrastructure and platform agility, with an emphasis on more efficient merger and acquisition solutions
Ideal Functional and Business Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in discipline appropriate to assignment or an equivalent combination of education and experience (related certifications are a plus)
- Cloud transformation experience – SaaS, PaaS, and/or IaaS, ideally with AWS and/or Azure
- Exposure or direct experience with leading development/scripting engineers in building scalable solutions
- Proven track record leading technology development organizations in geographically dispersed locations
- Minimum 5-7 years of information technology experience in roles of increasing complexity
- Minimum of 3-5 years of managerial or equivalent supervisory experience
- Minimum of 3-5 years of formal or informal mentoring experience
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to balance multiple priorities simultaneously. Demonstrates creativity and innovation in problem solving and applying appropriate methodologies relevant to the complexity of the challenge
- Moderate familiarity with network architectural and engineering concepts
- Experience scaling operations to support M&A activities
- Knowledge of the financial services and/or the insurance industry. Experience working in a private equity backed companies is ideal
- Foundational experience in a well-managed, process oriented, financially and metric driven company. An ability to apply best-in-class methodologies to a legacy environment is crucial.
- Experience collaborating with internal and external resources to develop strategies that meet department goals within budget and established timelines and working with all facets of IT infrastructure and IT operations.
Desired Technical Skills and Other Qualifications:
- Experience with overseeing a scripting/development operation
- Exposure to monitoring technologies such as SCOM
- Microsoft-centric technology engineering oversight experience, including server versions 2008 – 2016, Active Directory, etc.
- Familiar with deployment tools (or the concept behind them) such as Vagrant, Chef or Puppet, Saltstack, and Ansible
- Experience in agile development, DevOps concepts a plus
- Backup/data retention, DR experience
- Application of SDLC best practice concepts
- Basic understanding of database technologies, concepts
Meet Some of HUB International's Employees
Business Development Associate
Mike’s in charge of lead distribution and generation within the Program Sector. He focuses on supporting sales agents by helping gather information needed to drive business.
Back to top