Workstations Software Development Intern
The Workstations division of HP (www.hp.com/workstations) is a high-performance, high-integrity, and fun organization looking for motivated and talented software engineers! The Workstation organization is responsible for the development and maintenance of several performance optimization initiatives, which involve both hardware and software engineering. You will be working on this team.
For this position, you will be responsible for design, development, maintenance, testing, and quality and performance assurance of system software products used in HP Workstations products - specifically performance initiatives.
Software work within this job classification falls into three major categories: (1) Maintenance and enhancement. Makes changes to system software to correct errors in the original implementation and creates extensions to existing programs to add new features or performance improvements. (2) Major enhancement and new product design. Designs and develops major functional or performance enhancements for existing products, or produces new software products or tools. (3) Quality and performance assurance. Reviews requirements, specifications and designs to assure product quality; develops and implements plans and tests for product quality or performance assurance.
Candidates will apply developed subject matter knowledge to solve common and complex business issues within established guidelines and recommend appropriate alternatives. They will work on problems/projects of diverse complexity and scope. They will exercises independent judgment within generally defined policies and practices to identify and select a solution. They may provide direction to team activities and facilitate information validation and team decision making process. They will be able to handle most unique situations. They may seek advice in order to make decisions on complex business issues.
Software Responsibilities include:
- Refactoring and developing new software architectures to support new capabilities (both hardware and software)
- Defining new feature acceptance criteria with Marketing
- Developing new features and capabilities within existing software applications
- Developing new features and capabilities that enable disparate software applications to improve compatibility
- Developing new features and capabilities within new hardware platforms
- Coordinating and cooperating with Quality Assurance teams
- Troubleshooting and resolving issues and defects found internally or by customers
- Participating and/or leading technical meetings
- Participating and/or leading development processes
- Driving steady and regular cadence of public software application releases
Education and Experience Required:
- Pursuing a Bachelor's degree in engineering or equivalent (e.g. Computer Science, Electrical, or Computer Engineering), having completed at least three years in the degree program with an emphasis in software development, processes, and methods. Pursuing a Master's degree is a plus.
Preference Given to Candidates with Additional Skills:
- Software development and debugging skills.
- C/C++ with strong object oriented design and implementation skills.
- Computer hardware and component failure analysis
- Multi-OS (Windows and Linux) platform experience
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills in a large, diverse environment.
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written.
- Strong analytical skills and effective problem solving ability.
- Basic understanding of computers and comfortable with their use.
- Ability to follow documented testing procedures.
- Ability to clearly document test results, defects, and other information.
- Possessing the following leadership qualities:
- Attention to detail
- Sense of urgency
- Goal oriented
- Able to implement creative solutions.
- Delivers results
- Interest in software development process and software lifecycle.
- Interest in computer hardware and software interaction dependencies
- Linux and/or Windows administration knowledge.
- HTML authoring and web server maintenance knowledge.
- Proficient in at least one scripting language (e.g. Ruby, Python, Perl)
- Windows and Linux device driver architecture and design capabilities
- Graphics architecture and methods expertise (application and driver)
- Networking expertise for middle-ware software development
- Multi-threaded solution and design experience
- Compression technologies experience
- Project management skills.
Meet Some of HP's Employees
Elizabeth focuses on the HP consumer experience, scaling best practices across premium consumer notebooks, testing products before public release, and crafting the compelling story of their design and performance for press workshops.
Back to top