Virtual Reality Software Engineer
The Workstations division of HP ( www.hp.com/workstations ) is a high-performance, high-integrity, and fun organization looking for motivated and talented software and computer engineers with a passion for customers, quality and virtual reality (VR)!
This position is for a software engineer with software development knowledge to solve complex technical issues. The selected candidate will be part of an R&D team designing commercial VR platforms and solutions for HP customers.
For this position, you will be responsible for design, development, maintenance, testing, quality and performance assurance of system software products used in HP commercial VR products. This position may also involve the design, development, and management of hardware components used in HP's VR products and accessories.
Software development work within this job classification falls into three major categories: (1) Maintenance and enhancement. Makes changes to system software to correct errors in the original implementation and creates extensions to existing programs to add new features or performance improvements. (2) Major enhancement and new product design. Designs and develops major functional or performance enhancements for existing products, or produces new software products or tools. (3) Quality and performance assurance. Reviews requirements, specifications and designs to assure product quality; develops and implements plans and tests for product quality or performance assurance.
Candidates will apply a basic foundation of subject matter knowledge to solve common and complex business issues within established guidelines and recommend appropriate alternatives. They will work on problems/projects of diverse complexity and scope. They will exercise independent judgment within generally defined policies and practices to identify and select a solution. They will be able to handle most unique situations. They may seek advice in order to make decisions on complex business issues.
- Refactoring and developing new software to support new capabilities
- Developing new features and capabilities within existing software applications
- Developing new features and capabilities that enable disparate software applications to improve compatibility
- Developing new features and capabilities within new hardware platforms
- Coordinating and cooperating with Quality Assurance teams
- Troubleshooting and resolving issues and defects found internally or by customers
- Participating in technical meetings
- Participating in the development processes
- Supporting steady and regular cadence of public software application releases
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or equivalent (e.g. Computer Science, Electrical, or Computer Engineering).
Critical Competencies and Qualifications to Drive Business Results:
- Software development skills.
- Thorough understanding of software debugging practices.
- C/C++ with object-oriented design and implementation skills.
- Multi-OS (Windows and Linux) platform experience.
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills in a large, diverse environment.
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written.
- Strong analytical skills and effective problem solving ability.
- Ability to follow documented testing procedures.
- Ability to clearly document test results, defects, and other information.
- Possessing the following leadership qualities:
- Attention to detail
- Sense of urgency
- Goal oriented
- Able to implement creative solutions.
- Delivers results
Preferred Competencies and Qualifications to Drive Business Results:
- Interest in software development process and software lifecycle.
- Interest in computer hardware and software interaction dependencies.
- Multi-threaded solution and design experience.
- Modern C++ standards and practice (C++14/17)
- Linux and/or Windows administration knowledge.
- Understanding of modern VR hardware systems and software ecosystems.
- Knowledge about the mechanics of modern, real-time graphics pipelines.
- Experience with programming Unreal, Unity, Stingray, or similar game engines.
- HTML authoring and web server maintenance knowledge.
Back to top