UEFI Firmware Engineer
HP delivers the world's most secure and manageable PCs used by governments, defense organizations and international corporations. The core BIOS team develops the UEFI framework used in HP PCs. Our team deploys advanced systems, often collaborating with other technology teams, including HP labs.
We now have openings for experienced embedded firmware developers to augment the skillset of our technically diverse team. While UEFI EDK II firmware experience is highly desirable, we will consider candidates with experience writing systems-level code (Win32, COM, Linux Kernel, Device Drivers, BIOS, Firmware, CORBA, etc.), with a focus on secure computing, networking, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, or similar technologies.
We are a scrum team; so, developers that succeed in our team thrive in an environment where goals are accomplished through dialog, collaboration and consensus. We apply principles of software craftsmanship to continuously improve our processes, tools and firmware. We collaborate with teams located around the world. Although not frequent, travel may be required. In addition to developing new technologies and driving best practices within HP, we have developers that lead UEFI working groups to drive industry standards. Developers are encouraged to patent intellectual property. This position provides an excellent opportunity for high visibility, recognition and advancement for top technical talent.
- UEFI EDK II code development
- Collaborating with architects, marketing personnel, program managers and other developers to provide technical tradeoffs and develop a realistic schedule for the deployment of complex features
- Troubleshoot and fix existing code
- Documentation for developers, testers and nontechnical stake holders
- Refactoring for security hardening and maintainability
- Automated unit testing and integration testing
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- Typically 8 years of professional experience
Candidates will be evaluated on the knowledge, skills, experience and interest in the following areas:
- C programming
- UEFI EDK II programming
- Technologies (networking, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, security)
- Systems-level coding (Win32, COM, CORBA, …)
- Software Architecture, Software Craftsmanship
- Written and verbal communication
- Languages used for our tools: Python, C#, C++
Meet Some of HP's Employees
Elizabeth focuses on the HP consumer experience, scaling best practices across premium consumer notebooks, testing products before public release, and crafting the compelling story of their design and performance for press workshops.
Back to top