SW/FW Engineering Intern
At HP, talent is our criteria. Join us in reinventing the standard for diversity and inclusion. Bring your awesomeness, and just be you!
Education and Experience Required:
High School Degree and 3rd Year of University completed - typically a technical degree specialization.
HP's Specialty Printing Systems (SPS) business unit unleashes the power of HP's print technologies to OEMs in a wide array of markets including Product Identification, Labels, Transactions, Postage, Mail Addressing, Life Sciences (BioPrinting), and new markets. We leverage and repurpose HP assets to enable OEMs to win in vertical markets in which HP's technology, performance, and reliability can bring value. To extend the reach of HP's existing assets into high-ROI applications, the SPS R&D organization designs and develops special inks, printheads, enablers, and comprehensive inkjet-based solutions.
SPS provides a unique entrepreneurial environment in which each employee has the opportunity to engage with customers, develop new business opportunities, and scale excellence.
As a member of the SPS Firmware (FW) development team, this College Intern will share responsibility for firmware design, development test and release of FW solutions for several SPS products. Design and develop firmware and software components that communicate with electronics, pens and mechanical components to control printing functionalities. Proficiency in Linux and C is a must. Makefiles, real-time operating systems, embedded firmware, C++, bash scripts, Git or Java Script is a plus. Experience in printing technology and solutions is desired.
Responsibilities and tasks
- Creates, analyzes, designs, programs, debugs, and modifies firmware components that communicate with electronics, pens and mechanical components to control printing functionalities
- Analyzes design and determines coding, programming, and integration activities required based on general objectives and knowledge of overall architecture of product and solution.
- Writes and executes complete testing plans, protocols, and documentation for assigned portion of application; identifies and debugs, and creates solutions for issues with code and integration into application architecture
- Collaborates and communicates with management, internal, and outsourced development partners regarding Firmware applications design status, project progress, and issue resolution
- Ability to work with multiple disciplines: software, firmware, electrical, ASIC and mechanical.
Knowledge and Skills:
People / Leadership Experience - Must Skills:
- Initiative & bias for action
- Solid understanding of Embedded Firmware, computer architecture, development approaches and latest design methodologies.
- Team player with direct experience in test driven development approaches.
- Ability to operate effectively across organizational and team/group boundaries.
- Ability to work independently under time and resource constraints.
Domain Knowledge & Experience
Must Have Skills:
- 3 years of college level courses in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related experience.
- Ability to solve technical problems in a fast-paced product development environment.
Highly Desirable Skills:
- Strong C programming skills
- Desirable knowledge of other programming and scripting languages (e.g. java, tcl, perl, python)
- Basic understanding of Revision Control Systems (Git)
- Experience in multithreaded and/or multi-process systems, understanding usage of synchronization primitives, different communication paradigms, mutual exclusion, producer-consumer schemes, memory sharing and data communication, priority assignment
- Experience in code debugging: usage of debuggers and tracing tools, memory corruptions and leakage detection and correction, stack analysis
- Experience in state machine design and implementation, event driven control, complex error detection and recovery, synchronization between multiple devices with multiple states.
- Experience in translating from requirements into design, from design into subsystems.
- Experience in distributed control, different coupling levels between subsystems, clear break of responsibilities between subsystems, communication protocols, remote procedure calls, and timing implications due to distributed control.
- Knowledge of the product design cycle.
- Experience with Linux and Windows software development, package, test & release.
- Exceptional written and oral communication - specifications, engineering plans, test plans, other.
- Team player, with a bias towards action.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Demonstrated initiative in previous projects.
- Willingness to engage, learn, and generally make things happen.
Meet Some of HP's Employees
Research Engineer, HP Labs
Alex conducts in-depth research and experimentation for various HP departments, allowing the company to create consumer-worthy products that disrupt the industry and change lives around the world.
Back to top