Sustainability Country Specialist, Latin America
The Americas Sustainability team, in the Sustainability & Product Compliance organization, is an innovative pan-HP regional team whose purpose is to positively impact our world with HP sustainability leadership. We are chartered to ensure that customers can and want to buy products because they are safe, legally compliant, responsibly manufactured and meet or exceed sustainability expectations. As a Sustainability Country Manager position, your key responsibilities will include:
- Assuring product compliance with environmental regulations and legislation in Mexico, Costa Rica and Panama
- Understanding local market access requirements and ensuring those customer preferences and requirements are made visible to the relevant HP business(es) / local country teams
- Contributing to, reviewing and providing local expertise to deliver sustainability tools and training HP sales and marketing teams, and to our channel partners
- Establishing and collaborating with country leaders and functions to integrate sustainability into their key initiatives
- Engaging directly with customers and local media / press to deliver HP's Sustainable Impact leadership message in Central America
Assure timely development and implementation of product sustainability strategies and support processes in Central America to ensure market access and legal compliance affecting the sale and marketing of products (across all HP Inc. businesses and products), and deliver a distinct competitive advantage to the business, total customer experience and HP brand.
You will work in close partnership with many others, including Regional Topic Leads and WW Domain Leads (for energy, materials, packaging and takeback/recycling), Sustainability Managers for South America and Brazil & Argentina, Government Relations, Technical Regulations, local Industry Associations, local outside counsel, and other country leaders, functional colleagues and stakeholders, as required.
Essential Responsibilities: (in conjunction with HP Inc. global social and environmental policy and strategy functions)
1. Leverage or establish clearly defined country-level processes and coverage for:
a) tracking, evaluating, early warning and communicating proposed product environmental-related legislation, regulations, standards and market access requirements
b) satisfying legal reporting requirements applicable to products, consumables, packaging and batteries (where applicable) marketed and sold in the country
c) implementing customer-driven or legally mandated take-back and recycling/disposition requirements for products, consumables, packaging and batteries (where applicable)
d) supporting sales in regard to sales bids and customer / channel partner presentations; and addressing priority major stakeholder requests
e) monitoring and reporting on general product environmental market forces and trends in the country; and supporting customer and competitive environmental market research initiatives as requested
f) influencing priority product environmental policies and legislation. This position will act as a technical subject matter expert on sustainability topics including product take-back, in support of advocacy efforts.
2. Actively participate in developing the AMS Sustainability Team's annual plan-on-a-page, and craft supporting country plans. Lead and support implementation of strategies and plans that position HP Inc. as a sustainability leader in the country of operation.
3. Provide overall leadership and coordination to enable optimal leveraging of the company's global and country-based organizations and resources.
4. Engage country management in a periodic review of annual program objectives, financial targets and performance results.
5. Provide program management for Americas region-specific sustainability programs and participate in sales support/customer engagement, market access/compliance oriented teams, as required.
- Bachelor's degree in business, environmental policy or engineering, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 3-5 years of experience in a major IT industry program or project management leadership position
- Knowledge and application of environmental management principles and operational concepts
- Experience in regulatory influencing, both directly and in working with industry associations
- Demonstrated experience leading cross-functional projects/programs with complex and diverse content
- Demonstrated ability to effectively engage with customers, channel partners and other stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (written and verbal) and influencing skills
- Proven self-starter with excellent business judgment, problem solving, organization and networking skills. Ability to develop and maintain partnerships with those outside your own work group
- Capable leader with demonstrated ability to get things done!
- Ability to operate at strategic and tactical/operational levels
- Growth mindset approach to personal and professional development
- Fluent in Spanish, and English languages (Portuguese is an advantage)
- Advanced degree in business, environmental policy or engineering, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Prior experience working in the IT sector, knowledge of the industry segments, products, technology
- Prior experience working in Latin America region
- Prior experience working on cross-region programs / projects
- Prior experience working with retail and / or commercial channel partners
- Knowledge of Latin America regional market, major customers, channel partners and competitors
- Ability to understand and interpret legal documents
- Demonstrated negotiation skills
Meet Some of HP's Employees
Research Engineer, HP Labs
Alex conducts in-depth research and experimentation for various HP departments, allowing the company to create consumer-worthy products that disrupt the industry and change lives around the world.
Back to top