SPS Marketing Director
At HP, talent is our criteria. Join us in reinventing the standard for diversity and inclusion. Bring your awesomeness, and just be you!
HP is a technology company that operates in more than 170 countries around the world. We are the leading printing and personal systems technology company in the world, and we are here to create technology that makes life better for everyone, everywhere. Our technology and services help people and companies address their problems and challenges, and realize their possibilities, aspirations and dreams. We apply new thinking and ideas to create more simple, valuable and trusted experiences with technology, continuously improving the way our customers live and work.
In an ever-changing, connected world, HP Inc. keeps reinventing itself, its technologies, and what tomorrow holds - so industries, communities, and individuals can keep reinventing how they operate, ideate and create what matters most to them.
No other company offers as complete a technology product portfolio as HP. We provide infrastructure and business offerings that span from handheld devices to some of the world's most powerful supercomputer installations. We offer consumers a wide range of products and services from digital photography to digital entertainment and from computing to home printing. This comprehensive portfolio helps us match the right products, services and solutions to our customers' specific needs.
We operate with the heart, creativity, and energy of a startup, and with the brain, muscles, and determination of a Fortune 100 corporation. We use this unique combination, along with our 50,000 world-class employees and 76-year legacy of innovation, to engineer experiences that amaze our customers.
SPS - Specialty Printing Systems
Specialty Printing Systems (SPS) is an exciting and innovative part of HP's Graphics Solutions Business (GSB). SPS sells HP's famous thermal inkjet (TIJ) printing technology to Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs), resellers and partners into seven commercial print markets. SPS enables vast innovation across numerous applications and markets, leveraging existing products from HP and develops solutions to enable OEMs to ingest HP printing inside their solutions. SPS sells over 400 SKUs ranging from small parts to white label products for others. SPS's key markets are product identification on packaging, postage indicia, transaction, secure documents and mail addressing. Growth markets span from packaging to life science, and consumer expression. Please visit: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/commercial-printers/specialty-printing-systems/products.html
We are looking for action-oriented individuals who can inspire the team to turn visions into real profitable products. We are looking for those who are insatiably curious, able to work across borders and without limits, and who possess the passion to make things happen and deliver growth to HP.
SPS - Marketing Director Position
The Marketing Director will have three key objectives: optimize core legacy product lines, profitably scale current products, deliver new growth, and enable sales success.
SPS is seeking an experienced marketer with a strong will to win, a strong drive to find and exceed customers' expectations, a passion for HP's technology in industrial printing, dedication to develop key talent and be a positive leader and contributor to the SPS team.
SPS almost entirely sells components and solutions to OEMs who in turn create finished printers and sells HP ink supplies and supplies from HP's ink fill partners.
The Marketing Director will report to the GM and VP of SPS. Through the Director's direct efforts and through their team's collective efforts will accomplish the following:
Product Management & Marketing: Be passionate about our customers' printing needs and our technology. Provide deep understanding of the technical nuances of the applications and the advantages of our solutions relative to alternatives and the competition. Define our macro product roadmap and our winning profitable plan.
Lead the product managers to optimize the current products to maximize our market share and profitability. Develop strategies that both keep our current products alive and competitive through sales programs to win in the marketplace.
Lead a team of product marketing experts responsible for bringing products to market. This starts with understanding the customer and the competitive alternatives, it includes deciding the products positioning and messaging, launching the product and ensuring salespeople and customers understand it, so ultimately we drive the demand and usage of the product.
The key areas of responsibility of product management are:
Current Product Management:
- Take a leadership role for holistic ownership of all products in all aspects of their lifecycle.
- Work across the organization to sustain profitable products as long as possible.
- Support Sales to retain and win business.
- Frame scenarios and tradeoffs when there are conflicting options between customer requests, sales regions, engineering resources, and operations capabilities.
- Own customer facing product communications content and work with Sales to disseminate information.
- Forecast financial performance by product, track progress to plan and provide roll up of overall product financials into Finance.
- Set pricing strategy across product platforms and make pricing recommendations for individual products based on thorough ecosystem impact understanding and scenario planning. Strategy must be informed by the competitive landscape, product mix objectives, and financial targets.
- Develop product level competitive strategy and marcom
- Develop business plan by product/family/platform with the business model, financial thesis and technical support plan.
- Deliver competitive assessments in context to the relevance to HP.
- Perform customer win / loss analysis and retrospectives on product performance vs plan.
- Establish and maintain SPS product spotlights at HP demo centers.
- Represent SPS at key tradeshows and partner meetings.
Future Product Management:
The Director of Marketing provides product manager leadership to define SPS's product roadmap. This entails:
- Lead product managers and work with business development in systematic, data-driven and customer-centric processes to evaluate future growth opportunities for SPS.
- For each target market, identify the opportunity, use cases and associated customer value prop, size of the opportunity for HP and our OEMs, determine the strategy to gain market share, define the business model and pricing, and define the technical requirements for the SPS solution.
- Lead the team to gain input on product requirements from End Customers, OEMs/partners, Sales, Engineering and Operations to identify customers' needs. Translate that input into our product roadmap and our portfolio strategy.
- Ensure the team provides clear product requirements and ongoing input into the engineering product development process working closely with the engineering teams to drive product specifications which meet the customers' needs.
- Work with Operations to ensure the product can be manufactured within program cost goals.
- Oversee our partner selection and participation in our “alpha & lead” partner program for new products to accelerate learnings and time to revenue. Work closely with Sales, Engineering and Operations to plan for pre-released products.
- Work across the organization to ensure all aspects of the product development are on track.
- Gain input from Sales and the market directly to identify target OEM partners and potential end users
- Establish market launch requirements and execute product launches, product positioning and trainings for Sales.
- Develop customer-facing content for products and portfolio roadmaps.
- Articulate customer value proposition for use in creative by Global Marketing and Sale
- Enable sales with all the tools and training they need to make the product successful
The Director of Marketing will lead efforts to enable sales through incentives, promotion events, quota setting, data analysis, pricing management and sales tools. This entails:
- Data analytics on sales performance and trends by partner, market and product
- Coop marketing programs with OEMs
- Trade show planning and budgeting. Lead trade show presence including booth showcases, partner selection and involvement, and entertaining.
- Oversee marketing budget and determine investments across all marketing activities, from web, search, videos, coop spend and marcom.
- Ensure pricing compliance and administration worldwide.
- Lead quota strategy incentives and execution.
- Work within the larger GSB Marketing organization for budgeting and resource leverage.
- Implement MS Dynamics for sales.
- Drive efficiency in sales forecasting, revenue forecasting and tools.
- Work across Operations for efficiencies in planning and tools with CRM.
People Growth and Development:
- Help team members develop and grow in their role.
- Groom the team for upward advancement and broader roles.
- Exhibit the HP Way and foster a collaborate team within Marketing and across SPS and HP.
- Drive engagement and motive the team.
- Involvement in broader HP initiatives.
Qualifications - Internal
Education and Experience:
- Technical Product Marketing experience required.
- Marketing management experience highly desired in at HP or equivalent.
- TIJ and industrial printing experience is a high must-have.
- Industry knowledge in commercial printing or OEM business models is a strong benefit.
- University degree or equivalent experience required in business, marketing and/or engineering.
- MBA preferred.
- Minimum 10 or more years of related technology product work experience
Knowledge and Skills:
- Advanced marketing management experience working in both future and current marketing.
- Ability to dive deeply into technical and financial details then pop up to the macro level to articulate the recommendation and plan.
- Deep financial modeling skills.
- Experience driving growth, not simply maintaining status quo.
- Superior business acumen
- Advanced leadership skills, including coaching, teambuilding, conflict resolution, and management.
- Advanced team management skills including time and risk management, resource prioritization, and project structuring.
- Experienced in managing human capital across geographies to drive workforce development and achieve desired results
- Advanced communication skills catered to a wide variety of audiences. (e.g. written, verbal, presentation); mastery in English
- Advanced emotional intelligence and management skills, upward, lateral and downward
- Strong understanding of HP's policies and processes
Back to top