Software Designer - Mobile Architect
HP Print’s Software team touches many 100s of millions of HP printer users around the world each year with a variety of modern and scaled mobile, desktop, cloud/web, and IoT software solutions. These solutions help our printers come alive for our users no matter where they are, how they are connected, what screen they’re looking at, what app they’re using, or what operating system they’re on. This is not an old school printer driver team – but instead a team focused on best-in-class user experiences, removing friction for users, leveraging progressive agile development models with the latest tools, and jumping on real-time feedback from our customers with frequent releases. Our software solutions provide differentiated experiences and extend the printer hardware to provide new use cases in a modern, mobile, and hyper-connected world. We work side-by-side with the top operating system and content partners making print easy and seamless .
As part of the Platforms and Future Technology Software Group in Imaging and Printing, this
master architect will be responsible for the technical strategy, architectural leadership, and roadmap for HP’s next generation of mobile, cloud, connectivity and IoT solutions. The position requires extensive past experience with scaled products in mobility and cloud as well as demonstrated ability to develop and lead progressive, engaging solutions on top of architectures that support business and customer needs. The architect must have excellent business acumen, teamwork, and partnership skills given the collective industry and multi-company efforts that must happen to enable excellent customer experiences. Technical chops are a must – to not only dive into the deep technical architectural problems – but more importantly to credibly lead a talented team of developers located at sites around the world.
- Develops organization-wide and industry-wide architectures and methodologies for software applications design and development across multiple platforms and organizations within the Global Business Unit.
- Identifies and evaluates new technologies, innovations, and outsourced development partner relationships for alignment with technology roadmap and business value; creates plans for integration and update into architecture.
- Reviews and evaluates designs and project activities for compliance with development guidelines and standards; provides tangible feedback to improve product quality and mitigate failure risk.
- Leverages recognized domain expertise, business acumen, and experience to influence decisions of executive business leadership, outsourced development partners, and industry standards groups.
- Provides guidance and mentoring to less-experienced staff members to set an example of software applications design and development innovation and excellence.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Systems, or equivalent
- Minimum 10+ years experience
Knowledge and Skills
- Significant expertise and demonstrated results working at the core of the mobile operating systems – iOS, Android, and Android variants.
- Significant experience with modern design for mobility – e.g., complex mobile applications, hybrid web applications, battery optimized approaches, mobile-client + backend web solutions, etc.
- Significant experience and understanding of networking in the mobile context – PAN, LAN, and WAN discovery/communication, Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi Direct, Bluetooth, Bluetooth LE, Cellular, IPv6, emerging IoT protocols.
- Experience designing and working at the mobile device-printer communication level – e.g., firmware/software communication via REST/LEDM, IPP, various PDLs (e.g., PCLm), Scan languages (REST-Scan, eSCL, etc).
- Experience working effectively in both technical and business contexts with industry partners, consortiums, standards groups, and even competitors. Experience representing HP in these contexts.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Experience in overall architecture of software applications for products and solutions that stand the test of time and rapidly changing customer expectations.
- Evaluating and selecting forms and processes for software applications testing and methodology, including writing and execution of test plans, debugging, and testing scripts and tools
- History of innovation with multiple patents or deployed solutions in the field of software design
- Ability to effectively communicate product architectures, design proposals and negotiate options at business unit and executive levels.
- Ability to integrate industry trends, software technology trends, and customer needs to facilitate and influence a technical roadmap that maps to broad business goals over a 3-5 year horizon.
- Ability to lead teams of engineers towards a common goal or architecture – e.g., helping to code against the toughest problems, mentoring junior engineers, facilitating overall progress, etc.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; mastery in English and local language.
Back to top