Software Design Engineer
This is an early career level position with the Drive Systems and Pipeline Platforms group within the Measurement and Technology Solutions organization.
This team is responsible for developing test systems used to drive HP inkjet printheads in both R & D and production test environments.
In this role you will develop PC application software and embedded firmware to support the test and exercise of ink jet printheads and facilitate communication between our Firing Systems solution, targeted test bed application software, and the user. One of your primary responsibilities will be to assist in development of imaging pipeline tools that are used to transform digital images from raster bitmap formats into printable data for printing testbeds. This role requires a versatile hands-on engineer who is comfortable working with low-level code at the software-hardware boundary.
Applies intermediate level of subject matter knowledge to solve a variety of common business issues. Works on problems of moderately complex scope. Acts as an informed team member providing analysis of information and limited project direction input.
Exercises independent judgment within defined practices and procedures to determine appropriate action. Follows established guidelines and interprets policies. Evaluates unique circumstances and makes recommendations.
- Designs limited enhancements, updates, and programming changes for portions and subsystems of end-user applications software running on local, networked, and Internet- based platforms.
- Analyzes design and determines coding, programming, and integration activities required based on specific objectives and established project guidelines.
- Executes and writes portions of testing plans, protocols, and documentation for assigned portion of application; identifies and debugs issues with code and suggests changes or improvements.
- Participates as a member of project team of other software applications engineers and internal and outsourced development partners to develop reliable, cost effective and high quality solutions for assigned applications portion or subsystem.
- Collaborates and communicates with internal and outsourced development partners regarding software applications design status, project progress, and issue resolution.
Education and experience required:
- A Bachelors degree in electrical/computer engineering or computer science
- A minimum of 4 years of software development experience, including C++ and C# experience
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills in an agile and distributed team
- Fluency in English; strong written and verbal communication skills
- Data driven problem solving skills
Demonstrated ability in one or more of the following additional areas:
- Experience with the Visual Studio development and test suite
- Experience with embedded C/C++ .NET
- Experience with NIOS II soft-processor (Altera), Eclipse development environment
- Software library and/or application development experience
- Familiarity with source control tools (e.g. Subversion)
- Knowledge of inkjet design and print-head performance parameters
- Experience developing imaging pipelines
- Experience programming graphics processors (GPUs)
- Comfortable reading and understanding schematics (analog and digital electronics)
- Ability to use logic analyzers and oscilloscopes
Meet Some of HP's Employees
Elizabeth focuses on the HP consumer experience, scaling best practices across premium consumer notebooks, testing products before public release, and crafting the compelling story of their design and performance for press workshops.
Back to top