Senior Technical Project Manager
HP's world class platform team producing “World's Most Secure and Manageable PCs” is looking for a Senior Technical Project Manager / Architect inside the Software and System Architecture Team for HP's Commercial PC Group. This position will be located at our Houston, Texas campus.
We are looking for a proactive, diligent team player from a strong technical project management, software architecture, and development background with the ability to work seamlessly across multiple teams and functions in HP, interfacing with senior system architects, technologists and engineers who possess a diverse set of skills ranging from academic research through to product development. They will have an interest in software development trends and be able to identify the applications of these in the PC Platform Enabling capabilities, security, manageability, cloud based services and applications, etc.
The role of the Senior Project Manager is to lead the execution of key strategic technology initiatives working with the leading subject matter experts / architects in the group. In this group, at any given time, there are multitude of projects taking shape using leading edge technology in the field of security, manageability, PC BIOS/UEFI, Firmware, Platform Software using applications, drivers interfacing with new hardware, and cloud platforms. The Senior Project Manager will leverage extensive technical experience, strong leadership skills, and business acumen to work with several architects to help ensure timely completion of deliverables such as vision, architecture documents, new technology and partnership evaluations, etc., that help drive our business forward. The Senior Project Manager leads projects from concept through the implementation lifecycle and is accountable for on-time, on-budget, high quality delivery of sensitive deliverables from the architecture team. A unique requirement for this role is that the candidate will not just manage the deliverables but use their strong technical skills to be a sounding board for architects during vision, architecture, and design phase. This will allow the candidate to be exposed to a vast set of advance domain knowledge across various fields that architects work in. The Project Manager will work as a peer to the senior architects. As an additional possibility with time and talent opportunity, this candidate will be given a chance to lead an architecture project of their own depending on the background, skillset and interest. In this capacity, you will get a chance to deliver projects that ship on 10's of millions of personal computing devices, in 30 plus languages around the globe.
- Work closely with architects on all the existing and new projects and help track and push for completion for all technology items such as concept and vision capture, proof of concept development, architecture specification development, IP filing, new technology development, etc.
- Work closely with the project team and business stakeholders to define the approach, activities and timelines for project execution, leveraging project management and system development life cycle (SDLC) best practices.
- Deliver effective communications at various levels of the organization around project status, risks, issues or changes, building appropriate buy-in and transparency.
- Perform hands-on project work, including analysis, design, process engineering, and change management, as needed by the project.
- Encourage cross-functional business involvement in projects, building trusted relationships with business counterparts to ensure alignment and buy-in to business and system solutions.
- Analyze and understand change impacts resulting from the project and lead the team in defining and executing change management plans.
- Champion continuous improvement and adoption of project management and system development life cycle (SDLC) best practices using innovative ideas to increase effectiveness.
- Help maintain and track a funnel for technology and deliverables in flight and on roadmaps.
- Help design, develop, document, test, and debug software applications and systems that contain logical and mathematical solutions, especially in the areas of computer security.
- Conduct multidisciplinary research (firmware, software, cloud), and collaborate with architects and senior software and hardware development leads in planning, design, development and utilization of security principles for product and commercial software.
- Help analyze system capabilities to resolve problems on program intent, work with senior architects and marketing team members to understand how requirements are gathered for a complex project
- Work with world class security researchers from HP Labs to work on complex computer and IT problems requiring software and security principles. Become a member of the team that develops leading edge proof of concepts for new products that ship on 20 million plus PCs worldwide every year, in 30 plus languages.
- Learn skills like Secure Software Development Lifecycle (SSDL) working with subject matter experts in the field.
- Learn the fundamentals of system and software penetration testing while working in our security lab
Other Key Requirements of the Successful Candidate:
- Strong understanding of Project Management methodologies and the system development life cycle (SDLC). Able to blend and “right-size” these practices to fit the project and business need.
- Driven, proactive and a do-er.
- A strong communicator with the ability to pull out and summarize information and tailor communication style and content for a variety of audiences. Comfortable and confident presenting to executives.
- Ability to take a consultative approach to understand requirements, drill into details, and resolve issues.
- Ability to think creatively to define innovative solutions to complex technical/business problems.
- Skilled in interpreting technical information and communicating this information to different audiences in a way they can understand.
- Skilled in building trusted relationships with team members and project stakeholders.
- Ability to effectively address and resolve conflict within and across teams.
- 10 + years of progressively responsible experience as a Project Manager for a combination of software implementation, system integration, and business change projects
- B.S., Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Administration or equivalent experience
- Experience or background in Requirements Analysis
- Experience or background in Consulting (desired)
- Experience managing projects with remote teams (desired)
Meet Some of HP's Employees
Research Engineer, HP Labs
Alex conducts in-depth research and experimentation for various HP departments, allowing the company to create consumer-worthy products that disrupt the industry and change lives around the world.
Back to top