Senior Design Lead, Workgroup 3D Print
At HP, we believe in the power of ideas. Our vision is to create technology that makes life better for everyone, everywhere — every person, every organization, and community around the globe.
GxD is a world class design organization within HP. Within all levels of the print ecosystem, we design iconic experiences for hardware, software, user interfaces, mobile apps and more. This role is for design of 3D Printing, known as HP Jet Fusion 3D, for a new category of workgroup 3D print products and services.
Who are you? If you are a systems thinker, creative, wildly talented innovator — we need you. You will get the chance to work in every aspect of design, and to help us shape and impact HP's efforts to create the 4th industrial revolution via 3D printing.
In this role, you will lead overall design direction and strategy for HP's 3D Workgroup print portfolio of products and services. You will lead a multi-discipline team of world-class designers and outsource agency talent. You and your team will be responsible for researching, creating and developing concepts and specifications that optimize the function, ergonomics, value and appearance of 3D workgroup print and systems for the mutual benefit of both user and business.
Work within this job family falls into three major categories: (1) enhancements- changes to original design and extensions to existing programs. (2) new physical product designs (3) strategic design - new or improved physical design language, portfolio design, design archetypes, etc.
- Establishes and maintains overall design direction and strategy in partnership with HP's 3D Print design.
- Leads multiple project teams of designers and internal and outsourced partners responsible for all stages of industrial design and development for a portfolio of complex products and platforms, including design architecture, language, validation, and specifications.
- Establishes and manages Industrial Design projects and workstreams including schedule, resources, deliverables and reviews, in partnership with design and the 3D print development programs.
- Utilizes customer-centered design processes to create and translates new design ideas and updates to existing products into sketches, storyboards, prototypes, and models
- Manages and expands relationships with internal and outsourced partners on industrial design and development.
- Reviews and evaluates designs and project activities for compliance with industrial design and development guidelines and standards; provides tangible feedback to improve product quality and user experience.
- Collaborates with management, internal and outsourced design, and development partners to coordinate design activities, evaluate concepts and offerings, and recommend and implement changes to products or services to improve industrial design.
- Provides domain-specific expertise and overall industrial design leadership and perspective to cross-organization projects, programs, and activities
- Drives innovation and integration of new technologies and design language into projects and activities in the industrial design organization.
- Provides guidance and mentoring to less-experienced staff members
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Industrial or Product Design or equivalent
- Minimum 6-10 years' experience, including experience designing complex electro-mechanical systems.
- Desired experience includes design for a variety of materials, processes and finishes including cast and sheet metal, large scale molded and formed plastics, and glass.
- Desired Experience includes direct experience with 3D printing processes and workflows as part of the design process.
Knowledge and Skills
- Proven experience with application of design theories, principles, and concepts to a portfolio of multiple information technology and consumer product designs
- Proven delivery of compelling industrial design for a range of product types. Ideally experience with industrial machinery and equipment.
- Proficiency with applicable 2-D and 3-D CAD tools and software packages with demonstrated outputs for product design, specifications, visualization/rendering, and prototyping.
- Proven ability to lead multiple design disciplines, and collaborate across design disciplines to define and create holistic, end-to-end customer experience designs.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Proven project management skills.
- Broad understanding and experience in methodologies for design testing and validation, including sketches, models, storyboards, and prototyping
- Reviewing and evaluating designs for alignment with overall product architecture; recommending and implementing changes to designs and technology to improve product quality and overall industrial design
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; mastery in English and local language. Ability to effectively communicate industrial design data, design proposals and product specifications and negotiate options at senior management levels.
- Strongly desired: proficiency in 3D printing specification and outputs, and direct knowledge of 3D print workflows.
Meet Some of HP's Employees
Elizabeth focuses on the HP consumer experience, scaling best practices across premium consumer notebooks, testing products before public release, and crafting the compelling story of their design and performance for press workshops.
Back to top