Senior Audio Architect
The Business PC Group, inside the Commercial Managed IT Division, develops mobile computing and desktop products and solutions aimed at the Small / Medium Business (SMB) and large Commercial / Corporate customers. The hardware development group is seeking a highly motivated individual to join the Audio Architecture Team acts a Senior Audio Architect. This team will develop next generation notebook computers, Desktops and All-in-One PCs, as well as conference systems. We are looking for an individual who has background in and is able to develop expertise in a variety of areas, including:
- The ability to work with the diverse audio and PC based technologies that will include IC's, components, and the technology that drives the audio subsystems which will be implemented across multiple products mainly for the business PC team but also at times working with the consumer/volume teams.
- The ability to manage IC & Component supplier activities including creating and understanding Audio reference designs, reference and specific product validation, product implantation, product level testing specifically to the Audio sub system.
You will be responsible & managing the implementation of the Audio sub system on several notebook & tablet designs including the ability to do this both while on-site and remotely located. This specifically includes the following activities:
- Speaker & speaker box design & integration into the system
- Mic subsystem design & implementation
- Debug & root cause analysis of development problems in the audio subsystems, some of which will be HW based and others of which will be driver based
- Gather audio fidelity measurements throughout the development process
- Performance tuning & validation review of the system speaker & mic subsystems to obtain the best optimized audio performance.
- Knowledge on Skype for Business certification, general VoIP voice testing, audio conferencing quality
- Audio Schematic & Layout reviews throughout the design process
Will interface with the HP Program Manager and the HP Project Leader in the EE/HW area, providing direction to both on responsibilities & activities for the Audio technology area you own. Will be responsible for your technology areas on multiple Notebook & Tablet programs, while working with HP's audio architects/engineers.
- Ability to manage, update, modernize, & drive ownership of individual tests to the engineering test owners for the System Validation Test Plan used by the Business Notebook Team. This test plan is the lynch pin of both HW & Mechanical product development.
- Work, Lead & Oversee debug and qualification activities for the Audio technology components that you own; coordinate between ODM, Audio codec or other sub suppliers, and other HP internal teams to complete root cause analysis and find acceptable product solutions under short time lines within the product development schedule. Drive those solutions across the multiple notebooks & tablets that will be implementing these same or similar audio technologies.
- Will work with Architecture & RFQ team to select audio components and commodities based on analysis of specifications and reliability. Apply developed subject matter knowledge to solve common and complex technical solutions with in the established business guidelines and recommends appropriate alternatives.
- Will work with Electrical & Audio Architectural engineers to investigate innovative & new technologies in the audio sub-system.
- Will develop long-term strategies from engineering perspective
This person will need to work with a wide variety of component and system suppliers. We develop products with partners from around the world, so the ability to work well in a geographically dispersed team comprised of individuals from a variety of companies and cultures is critical to success in this role.
- Bachelor's (undergraduate) degree/Master's (graduate) degree in electrical or computer engineering or equivalent.
- 15 + years, Experience in hardware/firmware development/testing methodologies with specific direct PC design and Audio experience. Audio engineering in Notebooks, mobile devices, and/or consumer electronics preferred.
- Experience with acoustic design and simulation
- Hands on experience working with board designs specifically implementation of audio subsystems and Audio PC architectural implementations - understand PCB layout and impedance requirements across multiple interfaces to allow both Analog & Digital Audio designs to be robust.
- Experience working with US Based & Overseas IC & Component suppliers; driving their teams through concept, development, & implementation phases on a devices life cycle
- Candidates must have excellent organizational skills, professional oral and written communication skills, and a high level of interpersonal skills.
- Must be a self-motivated team player with the ability to work in a customer oriented, very fast-paced, and demanding environment with minimal supervision.
- Leadership qualities: Integrity, attention to detail, timeline sensitive, goal oriented
- Ability to interface with all levels within the development organization and work with diverse virtual teams located in multiple locations around the world.
- Occasional travel may be required to support development activities (domestic and international)
Back to top