Platform Architect for Value Point Of Sale and Mobile Products, Retail Solutions
At HP, talent is our criteria. Join us in reinventing the standard for diversity and inclusion. Bring your awesomeness, and just be you!
HP's Retail Solutions GBU team is looking for a highly-motivated engineer to join our R&D team and contribute to our aggressive growth plans. The Retail Solutions business within HP is responsible for delivering technology and solutions into Retail and Hospitality environments, primarily consisting of point-of-sale systems, Retail peripherals (receipt printers, barcode scanners, cash drawers), and mobile point-of-sale solutions.
These industries have very specific and demanding customer requirements which require purpose-built, targeted solutions. This architect will work very closely with numerous stakeholders across the organization to help define the right products at the right cost with a thoughtful balance of features and cost-efficient manufacturability.
This individual must be comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic, results-oriented framework with the utmost focus on delivering innovative product solutions.
This architect will serve as a technical resource to help define and deliver products within our portfolio. This individual will be part technologist, part EE/ME platform architect, and part troubleshooter. This individual will need a solid understanding of PC electrical and mechanical systems and must be a very “hands-on” engineer, comfortable with setting up mockups, demos, and proof-of-concepts. This individual will need to be comfortable enough in CAD systems to document and convey general concepts, but is not required to perform detailed mechanical design.
We are looking for a broad-based individual with a strong PC development understanding, combined with a good awareness of portfolio and business dynamics, while also possessing strong analytical thinking in terms cost/feature/benefit analysis.
- Work with Product Management and R&D stakeholders to evaluate and recommend architecture choice points
- Work within the System Team structure to perform engineering analysis on platforms and subsystems, in terms of performance testing, end-user characterization testing, and use-case development
- Serve as the team's subject matter expert on a range of technologies from NFC/RFID, to smart cards, to wireless data and power technologies, while working with peers in other organizations to gather, and disseminate this information to management
- Communicate program progress, escalations, and issue analysis to product stakeholders
- Work with sustaining/refresh teams, 3LS, and field to address updates field escalations, marketing, dales, and other high profile requests.
Education, Experience, Skills
- A Bachelor's (undergraduate) degree in engineering
- Solid knowledge of computer architecture is critical
- Strong analytical decision-making, debug, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to exercise independent judgment, work within defined policies and practices, determine best method for accomplishing work and achieving objectives.
- Project management skills necessary to effectively engage with vendors and partners for key technology development and successful implementation
- Must have the proven ability to establish clear goals and formulate plans and processes to achieve them
- Strong commitment to excellence, dedication, team player, self-motivation, and with excellent communication skills
- Must have excellent English communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to effectively frame issues and status and communicate to the executive staff.
- Candidates must be able to work in a fast paced, multi-tasking environment. Ability to effectively interact with senior management is essential.
- Conflict resolution skills
- Effective presentation skills
Meet Some of HP's Employees
Research Engineer, HP Labs
Alex conducts in-depth research and experimentation for various HP departments, allowing the company to create consumer-worthy products that disrupt the industry and change lives around the world.
Back to top