Plastics Procurement Engineer
This is an exciting opportunity to be a part of HP's Central Direct Procurement Services Mechanicals team that develops and manages a world class supply chain in support of award winning products in the area of Printing Solutions for consumer, office and 3D printing businesses. As a successful candidate you will partner with design and manufacturing partners to innovate and deliver quality parts on time at cost. You will be a member of a technical and business team that:
- Develops sourcing solutions for custom mechanical designs with a focus on plastic injection molding commodities.
- Co-develops solutions with R&D
- Selects, develops, manages suppliers to support a range of business need and production volumes
- Leads cross functional teams to resolve technical issues across multiple disciplines
- Optimizes and continuously improves delivery, quality, and cost
- Protects HP's IP and business interests.
Occasional travel and flexible work hours are required to work with worldwide partners and suppliers.
Applies developed subject matter knowledge of plastic part and tooling development to solve common and complex technical issues within established guidelines and recommends appropriate alternatives. Works on problems of diverse complexity and scope. May act as a team or project leader providing direction to team activities and facilitates information validation and team decision making process. Exercises independent judgment within generally defined policies and practices to identify and select a solution. Ability to handle most unique situations. May seek advice in order to make decisions on complex business issues.
- Designs plastics supply chain solutions for custom mechanical components based on established engineering principles and in accordance with development technology practices and guidelines.
- Works closely with a cross functional development team to ensure released designs can be effectively launched within supply chain by meeting design for manufacturability needs.
- Develops and implements parameters and test plans for manufacturing solutions for new and existing designs.
- Collaborates and communicates with management, internal, and outsourced development partners regarding design status, project progress, and issue resolution.
- Leads a project team of suppliers and internal and outsourced development partners to develop reliable, cost effective and high quality solutions for moderately- complex products.
- Represents the supply chain team for all phases of larger and more-complex development projects.
- Provides guidance and mentoring to less- experienced staff members.
- BSME or related scientific discipline
- 4-6 years working experience in the field of plastics injection molding and tooling development.
- Knowledge of injection mold tooling design capabilities and limitations
- Understand of injection molding processes and sources of variation that affect part quality, cost and overall capacity.
- Experience using 2D and 3D CAD applications.
- Strong analytic and empirical problem solving skills
- Aptitude to work collaboratively, both within and outside one's own work group
- Proven ability to influence
- High level of initiative
- Excellent written and verbal language communication skills; mastery in English and local language. Ability to effectively communicate product architectures, design proposals and negotiate options at management levels.
- Master's degree in Engineering or Business, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experienced in a range of design optimization methods
- Value Engineering
- Design for Manufacturing
- Design of Experiments
- Tolerance analysis
- Experience with a variety of Metrology methods and equipment, and Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility techniques
- Knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerance standards
- Ability to define part specifications and test protocols
- Ability to analyze data, create reports, and distill key message
- Experience in using Moldflow or similar injection mold modeling software.
- Understanding of principles of decoupled molding or Scientific Process Development for Injection molding.
- Experience in driving improvements in processes to reduce cost or improve quality using Statistical Process Control, Lean Manufacturing, and other process optimization methods.
- Familiarity with business contracts
- In depth knowledge of how to establish a target cost for injection mold tooling and parts.
Meet Some of HP's Employees
Elizabeth focuses on the HP consumer experience, scaling best practices across premium consumer notebooks, testing products before public release, and crafting the compelling story of their design and performance for press workshops.
Back to top