- Spring, TX
The Commercial Architecture team develops computing products and conferencing solutions aimed at the Small / Medium Business (SMB) and large Commercial / Corporate customers.
The hardware development group is seeking a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Performance Engineer.
This individual will be responsible for ensuring our products meet minimum and exceptional system and sub-system level performance scores in order to provide the best user experience possible for our customers as they use our products in multiple day-to-day scenarios.
Applies developed subject matter knowledge to solve common and complex business issues within established guidelines and recommends appropriate alternatives. Works on problems of diverse complexity and scope. May act as a team or project leader providing direction to team activities and facilitates information validation and team decision making process. Exercises independent judgment within generally defined policies and practices to identify and select a solution. Ability to handle most unique situations. May seek advice in order to make decisions on complex business issues.
This individual has a background in and is able to develop expertise in a variety of areas, including:
- The diverse power/thermal/performance based technologies that will include IC's, components, and SW/FW technologies.
- Managing the implementation of the Performance sub system on several PC designs including the ability to do this both while on-site and remotely located.
- Debug & root cause analysis of development problems in the performance subsystems, some of which will be HW based and others of which will be SW/FW based
- Gather performance measurements throughout the development process
- Performance tuning & validation of the system to obtain the best optimized performance.
- Will interface with the HP System Manager and the HP Project Leader in the EE/HW area, providing direction to both on responsibilities & activities for the Performance technology area you own.
- Developing your technology area on multiple platforms and collaborate with your fellow engineers to develop a total Performance technology strategy..
- Ability to manage, update, modernize, & drive ownership of individual tests to the engineering test owners for the System Validation Test Plan. This test plan is the lynch pin of both HW & Mechanical product development.
- Work, Lead & Oversee debug and qualification activities for the performance technology components that you own; coordinate between ODM, sub suppliers, and other HP internal teams to complete root cause analysis and find acceptable product solutions under short time lines within the product development schedule. Drive those solutions across the multiple platforms that will be implementing these same or similar technologies.
- Collaborates and communicates with management, internal, and outsourced development partners regarding design status, project progress, and issue resolution
- Leads a project team of other engineers and internal and outsourced development partners to develop reliable, cost effective and high quality solutions for moderately-complex products.
- Represents the performance team for all phases of larger and more- complex development projects.
- Provides guidance and mentoring to less- experienced staff members.
- Performs tests and creates reports as instructed to provide needed data on platforms
- The ability to manage supplier activities including creating and understanding reference designs, reference and specific product validation, product implementation, product level testing.
- Candidates must have excellent organizational skills, professional oral and written communication skills, and a high level of interpersonal skills.
- Must be a self-motivated team player with the ability to work in a customer oriented, very fast-paced, and demanding environment with minimal supervision.
- Leadership qualities: Integrity, attention to detail, timeline sensitive, goal oriented.
- Ability to interface with all levels within the development organization and work with diverse virtual teams located in multiple locations around the world.
- Occasional travel may be required to support development activities (domestic and international)
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Electrical or Thermal Engineering.
- Typically 4-6 years experience is system performance field or Electrical or Thermal Engineering.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Using electrical design tools and software packages.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Designing electronic components, integrated circuitry, and algorithms
- Using empirical analysis, modeling and testing methodologies to validate component, circuit, and hardware designs and thermal/emissions management
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; mastery in English and local language. Ability to effectively communicate product architectures, design proposals and negotiate options at management levels.
Back to top