Network Security Engineer
At HP, talent is our criteria. Join us in reinventing the standard for diversity and inclusion. Bring your awesomeness, and just be you!
Network security is a key foundational tenet on which we build our network services. Without this strong foundation, vulnerabilities are exploited and business value is lost. HP seeks a motivated, self-starting individual to help determine where security gaps exist and help fill them, whether related to new initiatives, existing network solutions, or overarching network security standards. In addition, the Network Security Engineer will interface with HP's Cyber Security group, assisting with engineering solutions and helping to ensure network solutions are secure, while also balancing the user impact to security.
General Responsibilities / Skills:
- Applies advanced subject matter knowledge to solve complex business issues and is regarded as a subject matter expert. Frequently contributes to the development of new ideas and methods. Works on complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of multiple factors. Leads and/or provides expertise to functional project teams and may participate in cross-functional initiatives. Acts as an expert providing direction and guidance to process improvements and establishing policies. Frequently represents the organization to external customers/clients. Exercises significant independent judgment within broadly defined policies and practices to determine best method for accomplishing work and achieving objectives. May provide mentoring and guidance to lower level employees.
- Develop engineering solutions based on business, technology and security objectives
- Engineer enterprise-class security solutions and drive technical design / implementation activities
- Resolve security engineering design issues across multiple teams and recommend short and long term updates to ensure security compliance while maximizing positive user experiences
- Participates as a member of and leads engineering efforts. Performs analysis of complex functional and business requirements.
- Participates in cross-functional teams and leads design activities. May provide mentoring and guidance to other engineers. Represents team to client/customers.
- Demonstrates technical leadership and exerts influence outside of immediate team. Develops innovative team solutions to complex problems. Contributes to strategic direction for teams.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills, including excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must possess uncompromising personal and professional integrity and ethics
Specific Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of applicable industry standards, best practice and regulatory requirements
- Strong understanding of security fundamentals and general security technologies
- Strong foundational knowledge of general networking technologies and concepts, including routers/switches, subnetting, routing, and network architectures, as well as general networking protocols and their functions, such as IP, TCP/UDP, DNS, DHCP, FTP, SSH, etc.
- Knowledge of Linux/Unix, Networking, Firewalls, Proxy and IPS systems
- Experience with Aruba Clearpass, Fortimanager, Panorama, Bluecoat, Zscaler, PAN-OS, Minemeld, Wildfire and Global Protect
- Familiar with configurations utilizing functions/features such as app-id, user-id, threat, av, url filtering, edls and zones.
- Understanding of enterprise networks, including cloud technologies, identity management, end point security, and data protection
- Ability to review traffic and security logs and recommend changes to improve security posture
- Experience working with SOC to identify events that require investigation and remediation
- Assist with application migrations and troubleshooting in a multi-vendor security environment
- Provide security best practices and evaluate deployment scenarios as needed
- Provide recommendations to optimize and migrate policies and objects
- Ability to work with security teams to provide ongoing firewall support and management
Education and Experience Required
Typically a technical Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience and a minimum of 10 years of related experience or a Master's degree and a minimum of 8 years of experience.
Meet Some of HP's Employees
Research Engineer, HP Labs
Alex conducts in-depth research and experimentation for various HP departments, allowing the company to create consumer-worthy products that disrupt the industry and change lives around the world.
Back to top