Manufacturing Development Engineer
Specialty Printing Systems (SPS) brings HP thermal inkjet technology (TIJ) to new markets through partnerships with Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs). Whether it be licensing our inkjet technology to our OEM partners, developing products on their behalf, or working together in a collaborative development partnership, SPS offers a breadth of technology and product offerings to the market.
SPS applies an entrepreneurial approach to quickly identify and pursue market opportunities for the application of TIJ technology. SPS currently provides TIJ solutions to a wide array of markets including Product Identification, Labels, Transactions, Postage, Mail Addressing, Life Sciences (Bio Printing), and new markets. We leverage, repurpose, and refine HP assets to enable our OEMs success. SPS team members have direct customer impact and business influence.
The Manufacturing Development Engineer will report into the Manufacturing Engineering Team within Specialty Printing Systems (SPS), which has manufacturing and new product introduction responsibilities with a focus on cost, quality, and assurance of supply.
As a member of the SPS Manufacturing Engineering team, the employee will manage a prototype development area, support new manufacturing process development, and ensure assurance of supply for SPS's existing portfolio of products. The employee will leverage their engineering knowledge, hands-on experimental skills, manufacturing acumen, and project management skills to deliver against their objectives. In this role, the employee will be working closely with internal colleagues in Engineering, Marketing, R&D, Finance, Operations and Manufacturing.
- Manage and maintain a prototype manufacturing area.
- Oversee prototype area layout and support prototype manufacturing tooling and processes
- Design portions of engineering solutions, including methods, operation sequences, and processes for the manufacturing of parts, component sub- assemblies, and final assemblies, based on established engineering principles and in accordance with provided specifications and requirements.
- Execute established experiment or test plans to demonstrate, understand, or qualify new or modified manufacturing processes.
- Support the development of new manufacturing processes or the refinement/extension of existing processes to meet new product needs, increase quality, or decrease cost.
- Support on-going management of existing products to ensure assurance of supply, meet quality requirements and support cost roadmaps.
- Build relationships with internal and outsourced partners on product design, manufacturing solution development, and production line qualification and release.
- Participate in reviews and evaluations of designs for compliance with design and manufacturing guidelines and standards; provide tangible feedback to improve product quality, increase manufacturability, increase ease of assembly, and reduce cost.
- Contributes fundamental design and manufacturing understanding, product manufacturing support, and fundamental business perspective to cross-organization projects, programs, and activities.
- Participates in innovation and integration of new processes and policies into projects and activities
- Supports problem solving of technical or process issues both prior to and after product launches
- Builds relationships with printer partners and factory teams
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in mechanical, manufacturing, or industrial engineering
- 0-2 years of product development or manufacturing engineering experience.
- PMP Certification a plus
Knowledge & Skills
- Interest in sourcing, selecting and managing manufacturing partners and suppliers
- Proven project leadership skills
- Knowledge of manufacturing, including contract manufacturing
- Process development, mechanical, or electronic design experience a plus
- DFM and DFA understanding
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong written and verbal communication, presentation, and persuasion skills
Meet Some of HP's Employees
Elizabeth focuses on the HP consumer experience, scaling best practices across premium consumer notebooks, testing products before public release, and crafting the compelling story of their design and performance for press workshops.
Back to top